HÀ NỘI — Badminton player Nguyễn Thùy Linh ended her Olympic journey with an easy win over Switzerland’s Sabrina Jaquet in the women's singles in Group P in Tokyo on Wednesday.
Vietnamese Linh, world No 49, needed 33 minutes to beat Jaquet 21-8, 21-17 in the last match of the group. She avenged her previous defeat to the world No 46 rival at the Russian Open in 2019.
It was Linh's second win, putting her in the second position in the group but not enough to push her into the next round.
She made a new mark for Việt Nam as it is the first time that a Vietnamese badminton player has grabbed two wins at an Olympics.
Previously, her seniors Lê Ngọc Nguyên Nhung and Vũ Thị Trang could win only once at the 2008 and 2016 competitions, respectively.
Two hours later, archer Đỗ Thị Ánh Nguyệt competed in the women's individual event. She was against host competitor Ren Hayakawa.
Nguyệt, 20, is the youngest member of Việt Nam Team, and it is the first Olympics of her career. Meanwhile Ren is more experienced, and was tasting the Olympic atmosphere for the second time. She won a bronze in the women's team event in 2012 in London and another in the Asian Games in 2014.
Nguyệt caused surprised when she won the first and third sets and drew in the fourth, forcing Ren to work hard to level the score with wins in the second and fifth set. The 2-2 result pushed them to a shoot-off, but Nguyệt could not control her nerves and scored only seven points while Ren made eight and advanced to the next round.
Later today, boxer Nguyễn Văn Đương will enter the ring against Erdenebat Tsendbaatar of Mongolia. VNS
- IPL 2020: DC vs RCB, Match 55, Highlights: Delhi Capitals secure second spot with six-wicket win; RCB qualify
- Donald Trump is 'being offered book and TV deals worth $100M' as part of 'Plan B' if election legal war fails to secure second term
- 'Avowedly Conservative': Boris pledges to cut taxes and boost police numbers as he signs up for second term as London Mayor
- PV Sindhu: ‘Winning the Olympic gold is the ultimate aim’
- Chad le Clos, thankfully reunited with his ISL team, flies toward a third Olympics
- Congress retains Baroda seat with comfortable win
- One year since FIH Olympic Qualifier: India Hockey captains Manpreet and Rani recall historic event
- Chase Kalisz wins at U.S. Open in Olympic Trials preview
- Lack of tournaments makes Tokyo Olympics qualification tougher: India paddler Harmeet Desai
- Mariah Bell wins Skate America, a next step to defying Olympic history
- Nathan Chen wins Skate America, ties U.S. figure skating legends
- Eager to book Olympic berth, Sushil gears up for World C’ship
- Giuliana Chenal-Minuzzo, First Female Olympic Oath Taker, Dies at 88
- French Open final LIVE REACTION – Unseeded Iga Swiatek WINS in straight-set domination as Sofia Kenin stunned in Paris
- 'Ever heard of Guy Fawkes?': America's ABC News network declares 'fireworks lit up night sky over London' to toast Joe Biden's win... only for Britons to point out there's ANOTHER celebration in UK on November 5
- IPL 2020: DC vs RCB, Match 55 updates: Delhi seal second spot with six-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Eufy Security Indoor Cam 2K vs. Wyze Cam: Which should you buy?
- Authentic goes wire-to-wire to win Breeders' Cup Classic
- Trump’s National Security Adviser Tells Staff: Don’t Even Mention Biden’s Name
- Kush Maini claims his second win of the year in British F3 Championship
Linh secures second badminton win in Olympics have 628 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 28, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.