Vietnamese Quách Thị Lan (right) competes in the women’s 400m hurdles heat together with USA’s Sydney McLaughlin, Denmark’s Sara Slott Petersen and Panama’s Gianna Woodruff (from left to right) during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games on July 31. AFP/VNA Photo
The Vietnamese runner placed fifth in Heat 3 of qualifications with a time of 55.71 seconds. It is her seasonal best but did not initially allow her to enter semi-finals.
However, after Jamaican Leah Nugent was disqualified for a lane infringement error, Lan was promoted to fourth place and secured her next round slot.
Lan is the first Vietnamese representative to compete in an athletic semi-finals at any Games.
"My coach asked me to be comfortable during the run and I was,” said Lan whose idol Sydney McLaughlin was in same heat and finished first with a time of 54.65 seconds.
“Competing against the world’s leading runners including Sydney is a great experience.
"It is one of two best results that I have made in career. The best one was 55.30 seconds that helped me win gold medal from the 2018 Asian Games."
Lan added that she felt exciting chasing McLaughlin during the race.
She is among 24 athletes in the semi-finals which will take place on August 2 at the Tokyo Olympics Stadium. Lan is the only Asian representative.
She will receive a US$830 bonus from the Việt Nam Athletics Federation as promised if she earned semi-finals slot, and a grant of $1,000 from M&C Group, a corporation run by Vietnamese general director Tạ Thị Quỳnh Liên who is also a volunteer at the Olympics.
"I made technical mistakes in the last two hurdles,” she added.
“I will fix it and do better in the semis. Running as one of 24 best athletes at Olympics is an honour. It is a chance to learn and perfect my abilities."
- Sweden edges Finland 2-1 to reach Olympic hockey final
- Swedes top Finns 2-1 to reach Olympic hockey final
- Canada, Britain reach men’s Olympic curling final
- Ryan Lochte makes history by winning 4th straight 200 IM title at worlds
- Tsuper wins gold, while an Aussie makes history
- Jones makes history for Britain
- Manila Ice: Filipino teen making history in Sochi
- Britain tops Norway to reach Olympic curling semifinals
- Emotional Murray reaches Australian Open final, sings female coach’s praises
- The Latest: Hingis reaches mixed doubles final at Wimbledon
- After making history, Nishikori still getting used to No. 5
- Quick Hitters: Vols vanquish Gamecocks, reach SEC semis
- NZ reaches World Cup final beating SAfrica in nailbiter
- Atletico beats Barcelona to reach Champions semis
- Benfica skips past AZ Alkmaar to reach Europa’s final four
- Saint Joseph’s beats Bonnies to reach A-10 final
- US shuts out Brazil to reach volley worlds final
- Rare Air: LeBron must make history to reach Jordan’s heights
- Shock and awe: No. 2 Wichita State makes history, hits 30-0
- England make history with stunning Round of 16 victory over Norway
Lan makes history reaching Olympic semi-finals have 501 words, post on dtinews.vn at July 31, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.