Vietnam proposes postponing 31st SEA Games as Covid-19 bites
The Saigon Times
|The logo and mascot of the 31st SEA Games. Vietnam has proposed postponing the event due to the complicated developments of Covid-19 – PHOTO: VIETNAM SPORTS ADMINISTRATION|
HCMC – As the Covid-19 pandemic is still raging in Southeast Asia, the Vietnam Olympic Committee has proposed rescheduling the 31st SEA Games until July 2022.
At a virtual meeting on June 9, representatives of the Olympic Committees of other Southeast Asian countries said they would report the information to their Governments, the local media reported.
The proposal will be reviewed by the Standing Committee of the Southeast Asian Games Federation before an official decision is made.
Two weeks later, representatives of the Olympic Committees of countries in the region will continue discussing the plan for the 31st SEA Games, slated to take place late this year.
In the current fourth Covid-19 wave in Vietnam, which started on April 27, the country recorded more than 6,400 cases. The pandemic has also been spreading in other Southeast Asian countries, affecting the practice of athletes.
In addition, commercial marketing activities for the event have failed to achieve the expected results.
The organizer of the event also found it hard to ensure healthcare services for some 20,000 athletes, coaches, officials, referees and other staff of delegations, not to mention the audience.
If the Vietnam Olympic Committee's proposal is approved, this will be the first time that a SEA Games event is postponed.
The 31st SEA Games was supposed to take place from November 21 to December 2 this year in 12 localities of Vietnam and include 40 sports, with most of them being Olympic sports.
- Hà Nội plans 40 sports for 31st SEA Games
- PM hails efforts of Vietnam sports delegation at SEA Games 30
- Vietnam does not pursue trade surplus with US: Vice PM Hue
- Vietnam, Japan agree to enhance exchanges between parliamentarians
- The Witcher 3: Blood And Wine Expansion Due May 31st
- Hitman Season Finale Visits Japan On October 31st
- 2.5D Murder: Three Assassin's Creed Chronicles Games
- PM Phuc honours athletes, coaches in Hanoi meeting
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 20
- VN football is actively gearing up for World Cup 2026, says VFF Vice President
Vietnam proposes postponing 31st SEA Games as Covid-19 bites have 353 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at June 10, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.