The statistic was published in the first edition of Vietnamese Esports 2021, released by Vietnam Recreational and Electronic Sports Association (VIRESA) on June 10.
According to the white book, esports in Vietnam thrived in 2020 and became a form of entertainment due to the Covid-19 outbreak.
Specifically, 80 percent of players said they spent more time on esports during the social distancing period, with 52.5 percent playing games daily at an average time of 2 hours 55 minutes.
Broadcasting platforms also recorded a spike in esports content. Typically, views on Facebook Gaming increased by 81.37 percent during the outbreak, while engagement and coverage also increased by 50 percent and 79.6 percent, respectively.
The sudden increase in the number of viewers and consumption of digital content in the past year has also benefited from the pandemic. Specifically, the views on YouTube Vietnam of some major tournaments like Arena World Championship 2020 reached 109 million, twice as high as in 2019.
2020 is also the year that esports became an official discipline at the 31st SEA Games, scheduled to take place in Vietnam later this year.
- PaySense raises $18 million from PayU and others
- Kyle ‘Bugha’ Giersdorf 'surprised' to win Esports Player of the Year at the 2019 Esports Awards
- 18 million Thunderjaw kills?! These Horizon Zero Dawn player stats prove Aloy is still a killing machine, one year after launch
- Gamers don't care about deteriorating eyesight, digestive problems: It's all about being an eSports millionaire
- MLS Announces eMLS, a New eSports Gaming League
- Vietnam's top chess player Le Quang Liem draws with Artemiev in FIDE World Cup
- Vietnam global second in salary growth: report
- Facebook security breach exposed the phone numbers of over 400 million users
- A Massive Esports Stadium Is Being Built in Texas
- Accessibility puts esports 'ahead of the curve,' says former professional gamer
- Would YOU go and stay with the world's most eligible royal? Maharajah of Jaipur, 21, who's just listed his palace on Airbnb boasts a £500 million fortune, has modelled for D&G and counts A-listers as friends
- Foreign man wins $1.1 million lottery
- Vietnam’s Doan Van Hau nominated for AFC Youth Player of the Year award
- CapitaLand Vietnam celebrates its 25th year of operations and pledges S$25,000 to further its commitment to CapitaLand Hope Schools in Vietnam
- Facebook, Google dominate online ad in Vietnam
- Vietnam has massive potential for EU businesses: Greek diplomat
- Hot property! Australian designer Collette Dinnigan flips and sells Southern Highlands home for $7.25 million after owning it for just 18 months
- Hoi An - charming ancient city in central Vietnam
- Foreign brands eager to enter Vietnam’s booming fashion market
- Vietnam aviation sector growth slows
Vietnam boasts 18 million esports players have 405 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.