Hanoi (VNA) – The largest economic hub in southern Vietnam – Ho Chi Minh City suffered from widespread floods and one person was killed when a tree uprooted in the city as part of consequences of Storm Usagi.
The storm, the ninth entering the East Sea this year, landed in coastal areas from Ba Ria-Vung Tau to Ben Tre on November 25, bringing winds measuring 40-60km/h and gusting up to 89-102 km/h along with 150mm of rainfall.
Usagi has weakened into a tropical depression, but it is expect to dump another 200-300mm on November 26, prompting authorities in HCM City and some other provinces to close school on the day.
The North-South railway service was disrupted as two sections on the route in the central province of Ninh Thuan were damaged.
Airlines also had to reschedule or cancel many flights to and from localities in the region affected by the storm on November 24 and 25.
Initial reports from localities said more than 2.6km of dykes were damaged, 46 ships were sunken, more than 1,000 ha of rice and other food crops were inundated due to the storm.
The National Centre for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting expected the tropical depression to move to the Vietnam– Cambodia border by 1 a.m on November 26.-VNA
- How an NC Central baseball player fought his way back after a devastating pitch to the face
- NC Central wants to play more in-state basketball opponents. That’s not as easy as it sounds.
- Kansas Jayhawks vs. Central Michigan Chippewas: Kickoff time, TV, five things to know
- Kicked out of playoffs, local coach wonders why 2 teams allowed back in and his isn’t
- Three takeaways from Kentucky football’s win over Central Michigan
- Kentucky tries to avoid handing Central Michigan another upset
- Long jump takes Omaha Central grad Shylia Riley further than she expected at Nebraska
- Clemson game on with storm on way
- Mayor of hurricane-devastated New Bern gets special offer from Panthers coach
- Meet the local football club band taking social media by storm
- The Latest: Tiny Mexico Beach takes brunt of monster storm
- Busy Lydia Bottelier leads pack of local girls in weekend's PIAA track and field championships
- Exploring the Southern Border in a 2017 Ram Power Wagon: Arizona to the Gulf of Mexico
- Melbourne Storm vs Cronulla Sharks NRL finals live stream and TV guide
- Local notes: El Camino College football in position for conference title after receiving forfeit
- Hurricane Florence: No. 14 West Virginia vs. NC State postponed as storm approaches
- Formula E approved to storm London’s Battersea Park (silently) in summer 2015
- England isolated as international rugby league surges in the southern hemisphere
- Recharge Wrap-up: Storm Pulse EV touring motorcycle, Elio COO launches YoYo car subscription service
- Local City and Southern Section baseball, softball playoff scores from Tuesday
Storm Usagi devastates central, southern localities have 456 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at November 25, 2018. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.