Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade Do Thang Hai said his ministry could consider scrapping special consumption tax and registration fees on EVs for five years.
This will promote the purchase of environment-friendly vehicles and reduce emissions as targeted by the government.
The Ministry of Transport has also voiced support for incentives.
Special consumption tax on nine-seat electric cars is now at 15 percent after a 10-percentage-point cut in July 2016.
Registration fees are 10-12 percent depending on locality.
Last month, Vietnam's largest conglomerate, Vingroup, called for incentives related to taxes and fees as it prepares to sell EVs this year.
The Ministry of Finance has not said yet if it supports the tax cuts, but deputy finance minister Vu Thi Mai said the incentives require changing laws by the National Assembly.
The ministry is soliciting opinions from businesses and plans to submit them and Vingroup's proposal to the government in October.
Some countries have incentives for EVs. Buyers in South Korea receive a $2,000 rebate on personal income tax and a $1,400 rebate on car buying tax.
China has scrapped consumption tax and cut registration fees by half.
Thailand and Indonesia have several incentives for five years to encourage purchase of EVs.
The Vietnamese government has concerns about the source of energy for EVs.
The finance ministry has pointed out that thermal energy with high carbon emissions account for nearly half of the country's total electricity production.
Renewable energy accounts for only 4.3 percent yet, it added.
- How a teenager made his own electric car from a junked Toyota Celica
- How to buy the best electric car
- Despite a bad quarter, Tesla is single-handedly growing the sluggish electric-car market
- Faraday Future will climb Pikes Peak with its FF 91 electric car
- Lucid shows 217 mph electric car at New York Auto Show
- Volkswagen wants robots to help you charge your electric car
- How long will new electric car purchase incentive programs be needed?
- Influential group wants feds to hit the accelerator on driverless and electric cars
- New electric cars: Love it or lease it?
- Electric cars set to pass 2m landmark globally by end of 2016
- Why everyone suddenly got religion about electric cars
- Dyson abandons electric car project
- Germany extends gov't support when buying electric cars
- Does a lower “total cost of ownership” boost electric car sales?
- Why You Need An Electric Car
- Senate looks to pass tax bill that preserves electric car credit
- California killing the electric car...again?
- Shai Agassi trades SOA for electric cars
- Automakers team up with states to get Americans to buy more electric cars
- LeEco founder defies China return order, stays in U.S. to fundraise for electric car
Ministries support incentives for electric cars have 431 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at June 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.