|Portugal's Diogo Queirós (L) fights for the ball with Germany's Karim Adeyemi during the 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championship final football match between Germany and Portugal at Stadium Stozice in Ljubljana on June 6, 2021. Jure Makovec / AFP|
The goal arrived just four minutes into the second half in the Slovenian capital, with Ridle Baku setting up Nmecha and the striker’s first touch taking him around goalkeeper Diogo Costa before he slotted home.
Forward Nmecha, 22, belongs to Manchester City but has been loaned out to a succession of clubs and has just enjoyed a prolific campaign in Belgium with Anderlecht.
Florian Wirtz, the Bayer Leverkusen starlet who netted a brace as Germany beat the Netherlands 2-1 in the semi-finals, also hit the bar in the first half.
Germany also won the Under-21 title in 2009 and 2017, before losing 2-1 to Spain in the final of the last tournament, in Italy in 2019.
Coach Stefan Kuntz, who played in Germany’s Euro 96-winning side, was also in charge of the team that won the title in 2017.
It is Portugal’s second defeat in the final of this competition in four editions after they were beaten on penalties by Sweden in 2015.
Germany will now hope their senior side can take inspiration from their Under-21 team as they also face Portugal in the group stage of Euro 2020 later this month.
- World Cup Roundup: Germany and Norway Win
- Germany shows mettle, wins World Cup group
- England beats Portugal 1-0 in friendly to end winless streak
- England 2 Romania 4: Young Lions out of U-21 Euros
- England 2 Romania 4: Young Lions crash out of U-21 Euros
- England vs Romania LIVE: How to watch Under-21 Euros football
- USA beat Netherlands, win back-to-back World Cups (video)
- ATP roundup: Isner beats Bublik to win fourth Newport title
- Coco Gauff Wins First Pro Title at Citi Open
- Coco Gauff Wins First WTA Title at Citi Open
- Whitlock wins third world title as Downie sisters make podium
- Austria’s Wiesberger wins Italian Open title
- Germany beats Romania 4-2 to reach Euro U21 final
- England and Croatia Settle for 3-3 Draw in 2019 U-21 Euros
- Mead strike helps England Women beat Portugal to end winless run
- Winning the national title after losing the season opener
- Daniel Young wins first Euro Pro title
- Teen sensation Coco Gauff wins first WTA title
- SD City College wins state basketball title
- George Burns wins Scottish Amateur title at Crail
Germany beat Portugal to win Under-21 Euro title have 384 words, post on vir.com.vn at June 7, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.