Ottawa (VNA) – BNN Bloomberg , Canada’s business news network reporting on finance and markets, has recently published an article highlighting the extraordinary 100-fold increase in solar power that has taken place in Vietnam over the last two years.
The Southeast Asian nation now ranks seventh in the world in terms of capacity, according to clean energy research group BloombergNEF, and in 2020 the only countries that installed more solar panels were the US and China, the article said.
"I have never seen a country explode like this in solar," Logan Knox, Chief Executive of Vietnam operations of UPC Renewables, which builds and operates wind and solar farms across Asia, was cited by BNN Bloomberg. "It's almost unbelievable."
Vietnam is an encouraging sign that global efforts to discourage the use of fossil fuels and boost the accessibility of clean alternatives are bearing fruit, the article said.
The government turned to the solar industry a few years ago as a growing number of power shortages threatened to sap its economic momentum. Years of rapid growth meant surging electricity demand from factories built by multinational giants including Samsung Electronics Co . and suppliers for Apple Inc.
A plan to meet that with an ambitious fleet of coal power plants has fallen behind schedule, due in large part to push-back from local leaders concerned about air quality and financing difficulties as global banks stopped lending for the dirtiest energy source.
That same shift to clean energy needs to happen in more developing countries if emissions worldwide are to be zeroed out by mid-century—a timeline needed to avoid catastrophic global warming, the article noted./
- Tax dispute stalls solar panel cargoes in India, delaying projects
- MNRE's 40 GW rooftop solar target "unrealistic": Parliamentary panel
- Sustainable energy security magnetising private funds
- MNRE recommends imposition of basic customs duty on imported solar cells and modules
- ADB agrees US$38M finance package to solar power project in Vietnam
- Unlock long-term financing for solar power in Vietnam
- ADB provides loan for 50MW solar power plant in Tay Ninh
- ADB loan to unlock long-term financing for solar power in Việt Nam
- Big power out, solar in: UBS urges investors to join renewables revolution
- Solar has won. Even if coal were free to burn, power stations couldn't compete
- South Korean power solution providers eye Vietnam
- Worldwide Business with kathy ireland®: See Sunbolt Introduce Their Innovative Solar Charging Workstations
- Gas-to-power projects attract global energy giants
- Tech giants spark record rise in sales of renewable energy
- World's Largest Solar Plant Goes Online
- World Bank Issues Its First 'Green Loan' to Vietnam
- Electricity prices are tumbling for generators, why not for consumers?
- Total Sued by French Cities, NGOs Over Carbon Emission Targets
- Scott Morrison is stuck in a time warp - more gas is not the answer
- iPod inventor, Nest founder Tony Fadell backs first battery startup
Vietnam explodes in solar energy: BNN Bloomberg have 480 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at May 20, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.