Exhausted after pulling three students safely from the water, a 23-year-old man drowned at a beach in Phu Vang District, Thua Thien – Hue Province last Friday.
|The courageous act of Nguyen Van Nha, a fourth-year student in Information Technology Faculty at the College of Science at the Hue University will never be forgotten. Photo thanhnien.vn|
Nguyen Van Nha was a fourth-year student at the Information Technology Faculty of the College of Science at Hue University.
The young man's courageous act will never be forgotten, and through his heroic sacrifice, he becomes a shining example that touched the hearts of many people.
“Nha’s passing has brought the lives to three people. His great sacrifice will never be forgotten in people’s minds. He is a real hero," journalist Nguyen Thi Bich Hau wrote on her Facebook page.
Hoang Thi Tr, a second-year student from Hue University, one of three people rescued by Nha, said a group of students from Hue University, including Tr and Nha, took a swim at a beach in Phu Vang District on April 30.
"After being swept away by a powerful wave, I couldn't shout for help, just try to lift my hands out of the water. I thought I would die and fainted.
"Only when I woke up, I found out that I am still alive and lying in the hospital," she told Nghe An newspaper.
Tr said she was grateful to Nha for saving her life.
Le Quoc Khanh, another student at the same university, who stayed on shore, said: "I saw three female students being swept away for 200-300 metres. Seeing the girls swept away by strong waves and struggling in the water, Nha rushed to save them."
"We helped him pulling them to shore. Then we could no longer see Nha. We called for help."
His body was found half an hour later.
Speaking about Nha, Le Van Nghia, one of his classmates, said Nha was friendly and willing to put others before himself. He often organised charity trips to help ethnic minority people in mountainous areas of Quang Tri Province.
Associate Professor, Doctor Huynh Van Chuong, deputy head of Hue University said Nha's death was a great loss to his family, friends, relatives and Hue University.
"His kindness, humanity and compassion will never be forgotten," he said.
Chuong also said that Nha was a good example for young people and students at Hue University to follow.
State President Nguyen Xuan Phuc on Sunday extended his condolences to the family of Nha.
The president asked local authorities to honour Nha with the Bravery Order, which is given to individuals who have shown bravery to save people or property, as well as recognising him as a martyr.
He also directed the People's Committee of Nghe An and Thua Thien – Hue provinces and Hue University to provide support for Nha's family.
Thua Thien-Hue Province's People's Committee has decided to award Nha a certificate of merit for his bravery.
Nha was born to a poor farming family. Although they struggled to make ends meet, Nha still got support from the family to study at university.
During his university years, Nha had a number of part-time jobs.
Most days, Nha had charity meals worth VND5,000 at noon and ate instant noodles at night.
Ho Duc Luyen, chairman of Quynh Yen Commune in Nghe An Province’s Quynh Luu District said his sacrifice was upsetting for residents because Nha was a gentle, affectionate person who was beloved by his family and friends.
- Body of 17-year-old drowning victim found at lake
- International students trapped by COVID-19 relying on local charities for food
- Sanders' Proposal Would Cancel All Student Debt
- Eight-month pregnant nurse Mary, who died of coronavirus but whose baby was saved, lost her father 'to virus' just two weeks ago
- What made bluestocking cheerleaders see RED! Oxbridge students are up in arms over the pom-pom pomposity of snobs who won't take them seriously
- Evan Robinson saves daughter and friend caught in ocean rip off Bunbury
- 90% of the world's students are in lockdown. It's going to hit poor kids much harder than rich ones
- The cruel law change that will sting millions of Australians: Scott Morrison quietly lowers the repayment threshold for student debts – meaning a low-paid worker will lose $459 a year
- Heartbreaking end to sweet ABC documentary series Old People’s Home for 4-Year-Olds
- Student Goes Viral Asking Obama to Give 'National Commencement Speech' for Seniors Stranded by Coronavirus
Student who drowned while saving three people to be honoured have 759 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at May 6, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.