The chairman of a major South Korean dairy company stepped down on Tuesday after police launched an investigation into the company’s assertion that its yogurt drink was effective in fighting the novel coronavirus.
Namyang Dairy Product Co Ltd Chairman Hong Won-sik’s resignation came three weeks after the initial claim and its retraction. The sacking of the chief executive did little to calm a consumer backlash.
“I will resign from Namyang Dairy’s chairman position to take responsibility for all of this and I will not pass on management to my children,” Hong said in a televised public apology.
Hong and his family members have a combined stake of 53.1% of South Korea’s No.3 dairy firm by revenue, according to Namyang’s regulatory filings.
Officials at Namyang Dairy could not be immediately reached for comment.
Seoul police last week raided the company’s headquarters.
The company claimed at a forum attended by reporters last month that its Bulgaris yogurt drink was effective in preventing COVID-19, sending its stock surging nearly 30%.
South Korea’s Ministry of Food and Drug Safety subsequently issued a statement saying that Namyang had no evidence to support its claim, and accused the company of illegally spreading misleading information.
Namyang Dairy shares were up 16.3% versus the broader KOSPI’s 0.5% decline as of 02:43 GMT.
- Staff deliver a boot load of BEER to NHS coronavirus quarantine unit on the Wirral amid claims the evacuees from Wuhan are 'holding medics to ransom' and threatening to walk out if they don't provide takeaways and booze
- India vs Pakistan Live score ICC U 19 World Cup 2020 Live updates: Divyansh Saxena takes a blinder to dismiss Mohammad Haris, Pak five down
- India vs Pakistan, ICC U 19 World Cup 2020 Highlights: Ton-up Yashasvi Jaiswal, bowlers power India into final
- Coronavirus death toll has its biggest EVER spike: 242 people die in a day and 15,000 people catch the disease after sacking of Chinese communist bosses who 'covered up' true scale
- Classics of modern South Korean cinema – ranked!
- 'The president is a pathological liar': Mike Bloomberg's campaign hits back at 'fake hair, obese' Donald Trump's claims the 5ft 8in billionaire wants to stand on a box at the debate
- Arrowe Park quarantine guard claims patients are 'holding staff to RANSOM' by demanding private chefs and free alcohol or they will LEAVE - and says police stopped drunk detainee fleeing
- Jeff Bezos calls Michael Sanchez's claims baseless, urges judge to dismiss suit filed by girlfriend’s brother
- 'It's a masterclass in wanting to have your cake and eat it’: Furious Buckingham Palace aides turn on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after they stun the Queen by ‘pressing the nuclear button’ and quitting the Royal Family
- The Foreign Office saved my baby: British father hails officials for 'hiding' his newborn son's dual-citizen birth certificate from Chinese bosses so he could sneak onto evacuation flight
S.Korean dairy boss quits over claim yoghurt drink effective against COVID-19 have 466 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at May 4, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.