The rapid rise of new apartment blocks in HCM City has exerted intense pressure on infrastructure while local communities gain little benefit from new homes.
Lately, condominiums and buildings have been sprouting up in districts in the southern metropolis placing pressure on the living environment. New residential area development has created negative impacts, including pressure on existing infrastructure and services, reduced environmental amenity, and slower residential price rises.
|Rising high-rise apartments put infrastructure under pressure in HCM City. Photo: SGGP|
The growth of modern high-rise buildings significantly affects the existing climatic conditions of the terrain and the environmental balance of the living environment.
Long lines of people and vehicles have been seen in Pho Quang Street at rush hours. About 5 years ago, scores of high-rise buildings including the Sky Center, Golden Mansion and The Botanica were built in the street. Worse, 18-floor Orchard Garden building and 24- floor Orchard Park View are located in Hong Ha Street nearby.
A 3.2km-long street connecting Sai Gon Bridge in Dien Bien Phu Street in Binh Thanh District to Ton Duc Thang Street in District 1 is the location of two high-rise buildings Saigon Pearl and The Manor.
Resident Hoang Thanh in Nguyen Huu Canh Street in Binh Thanh District warned that rapid and often unplanned population growth is often associated with population demands that outstrip infrastructure and service capacity and leading to environmental degradation.
Not only inner areas in HCM City but outlying districts are under huge pressure because of property boom. For instance, the newly-established Thu Duc City has been under pressure because of the completion of Vinhomes Grand Park project with 10,434 apartments not to mention a 271-ha project including 400 villas; 1,600 houses and a 40,000- apartment building. Traffic congestion in Nguyen Xien has been getting worse since the middle of 2020 when residents moved to live in Vinhomes Grand Park.
At a meeting of the city People Council recently, many delegates voiced concerns that roads in the inner city are increasingly overloaded by high-rise buildings and housing projects.
According to Architect Ngo Viet Nam Son, currently the infrastructure conditions including water supply and drainage services, traffic, schools and hospitals in the inner districts have been stable. If there are more high-rise projects, the infrastructure will be overloaded. Therefore, the city authorities should tighten their management on construction of high-rise buildings in inner areas and prioritize property projects in suburbs instead.
Moreover, the city's authorities must tighten control over real estate projects to make sure that the traffic infrastructure can withstand the pressure posed by apartments and their residents.
- HCM City, Mekong Delta region discuss tourism co-operation
- Preschools in HCM City's industrial parks need more support
- HCM City strives for “smart” schools
- HCM City police to conduct population census
- HCM City achieves four goals in pollution reduction
- HCM City seeks $54 billion for investment projects
- HCM City seeks to boost ornamental fish exports
- Korean bank Daegu to open branch in HCM City
- HCM City prepares diverse activities to welcome the New Year
- Pork prices hit all-time high in HCM City
- HCM City: diverse activities to welcome New Year
- High-tech supply chain key to sustainability for agriculture
- Exploring the dark side of Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
- HCM City lacks classrooms, teachers for new training programme
- High-tech supply chain the key to sustainability for VN agriculture: experts
- Strong demand for high-end property in Vietnam
- Ba Ria-Vung Tau upgrades infrastructure to attract investors
- Efficient cities crucial to Vietnam’s transformation into high-income society: WB expert
- The tragedies of Mexico City’s Tlatelolco housing complex – a history of cities in 50 buildings, day 31
- Tell us your experiences of heat in your city
Rising high-rise apartments put infrastructure under pressure in HCM City have 587 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at May 10, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.