Judges at the Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year photo contest, an annual event sponsored by UK-based The Food Awards Company, has selected several submissions by Vietnamese photographers to take home top prizes in the 2021 iteration of the event.
The contest – launched in 2011 to "celebrate the very best in food photography and film from around the world" – accepts photo and video submissions of foods for its various categories, including photographs of food styled for magazines, as well as family themed, food production, and even food in politics categories.
With the competition now in its 10th year, judges sifted through almost 10,500 entries from more than 70 countries before announcing the winners online during a live-streamed event on April 28.
|'Taste' shows a young family preparing food in their home in Lichang, Shanxi, China. This photo won the Grand prize at Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2021. Photo: Li Huaifeng|
Chinese photographer Li Huaifeng took home the grand prize with her submission, titled 'Taste,’ depicting a young family preparing food in their home in Lichang, Shanxi.
|‘Enjoying’ depicts a street vendor selling che (sweet soup) and tao pho (soya bean curd) in Hoi An City, Quang Nam Province, Vietnam. The photo won the ‘Street Food’ category at Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2021. Photo: Tran Viet Van.|
Meanwhile, Vietnamese lensman Tran Van Viet triumphed in the ‘Street Food’ category with his submission ‘Enjoying’ – a magnificent shot of a street vendor selling che (sweet soup) and tao pho (soya bean curd) in Hoi An City.
"[Hoi An City is] an old town and popular tourist destination in central Vietnam where there are many sweet soup sellers,” Viet said.
“Watching these four young girls passionately eating soup made me feel that life is beautiful despite the ongoing pandemic.”
Thong Nguyen, another Vietnamese photographer, was awarded first prize in the ‘Food at the Table’ category with his photo ‘Breakfast at Weekly Market,’ which depicts locals in a mountainous area of northern Vietnam enjoying pho for breakfast at a local weekly market.
|‘Feeding the Ducks’ shows a farmer feeding a flock of ducks in Vietnam. This photo won second prize in the ‘Food in the Field’ category at Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2021. Photo: Nguyen Phuoc Hoai|
A photo named ‘Feeding the Ducks,’ snapped by Vietnamese photographer Nguyen Phuoc Hoai, won second prize in the ‘Food in the Field’ category.
Other works by Vietnamese candidates made a shortlist highlighted in a gallery on the contest's official website.
This year, the finalists’ images will be exhibited at The Royal Photographic Society in Bristol as part of a free exhibition set to run from November 20 to December 12.
|‘Winter Breakfast’ shows locals in a mountainous area of northern Vietnam enjoying breakfast at home. This photo is part of the commended gallery at Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2021. Photo: Nguyen Huu Thong.|
|‘Lychee Season’ shows a Vietnamese woman arranging lychees in a basket after a harvest. This photo is part of the commended gallery at Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2021. Photo: Nguyen Huu Thong.|
|‘Fishing Net’ shows fish harvesting in Vietnam. This photo is part of the commended gallery at Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2021. Photo: Nguyen Phuoc Hoai.|
- At home with sacred art collector Nina Ventura
- Vietnamese military chefs ranked 7th at International Army Games finals
- Taking stock: 7 heart-warming stories from Vietnam
- ‘Final Table’ winner Timothy Hollingsworth to take over Ayala restaurant space in Union Square
- What a year! Floods, flyovers and a photobombing dolphin all feature in selection of best news pictures from 2019
- Neither insurance nor assurance: Vietnamese agriculture left in the lurch
- Young entrepreneurs take a step towards making coffee shoes in Vietnam
- Patch Picks: The Best Wings In Norwalk [PHOTOS]
- Megastars' Majorcan mansion misfortunes: Inside Brad Pitt, Michael Douglas and Boris Becker's run-down holiday homes (no wonder the Wall Street star and tennis ace can’t sell theirs!)
- South Australian chefs say multicultural foods encourage harmonious diversity
- Why You - Even You - Should Watch The International Finals
- Royal fans gush over 'adorable' photos of Prince George cooking with the Queen, William and Charles at Buckingham Palace - and say the snap showing four generations is 'what Christmas is all about'
Picture-perfect: Vietnamese cuisine takes home top prizes at international food photo contest have 721 words, post on vietnamlife.tuoitrenews.vn at May 6, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.