HCM CITY — The rainy season will begin two or three weeks earlier than usual in the south this year because of the La Nina phenomenon, the Southern Hydro-Meteorological Station has forecast.
Lê Đình Quyết, its deputy head, said the rains usually start between May 10 and 15.
The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration defines La Nina as cooler than normal sea-surface temperatures in the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean impacting global weather patterns.
It occurs every three to four years and can persist for as long as two years.
The station said heavy rains would occur in the afternoons and from now until June.
In August, when La Nina's influence will reduce, the weather will be back to a neutral state, with strong convection clouds causing thunderstorms and winds.
La Nina returns to Việt Nam after a decade, but its influence has not been serious yet, according to hydro-meteorologist Lê Thị Xuân Lan .
However, it is unpredictable so the country should take preventive measures against natural disasters.
The earlier arrival of rains will help southern provinces and cities have "comfortable" weather during summer this year.
According to experts, because of La Nina, the rainy season will also be shorter, and rainfall will be lower than normal.
Lan warned that southern provinces and cities should start storing water.
There has been heavy rain in many parts of HCM City, causing streets to flood and trees to fall, injuring several people, damaging cars and motorbikes.
Nhiêu Lộc canal was polluted with garbage after the heavy rains, causing fish to die. — VNS
- 'This. Is. Weird': AFL season kicks off in bizarre style as Richmond and Carlton blockbuster is played at an empty MCG after fans were banned over coronavirus
- La Niña Influences Melt of Major Antarctic Glacier
- AFL sensationally announces the 2020 season WILL go ahead despite sporting leagues across the globe scrapping competitions to stop the spread of coronavirus
- Nintendo Switch online goes DOWN leaving some unable to access its eShop as people across the world begin self-isolating due to coronavirus
- AFL suspends 2020 season until at least June amid coronavirus pandemic after domestic travel is banned and three states shut their borders
- Commercial Dungeness crab season gets cracking after delay
- Tied for 6th, Vonn points to key mistake; also erred earlier
- Elle Fanning slips into something cozy for leisurely stroll with mom Heather in LA amid 'social distance' encouragement
- Were South Africa really unlucky in the 1992 World Cup?
- How South Korea Flattened the Curve
- Commuters to get refunds on monthly and annual season tickets potentially worth thousands under government's coronavirus rescue deal for rail firms
- Why service time is critical in MLB, MLBPA negotiations and what could happen to it if 2020 season is lost
Rainy season in south to begin earlier than usual due to La Nina have 468 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at April 20, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.