The number of new deaths increased for the fourth consecutive week, increasing by seven percent compared to last week, with over 76,000 new deaths reported, according to the WHO.
The outbreak was especially violent in India as the country reported 873,296 new cases, an increase of 70 percent compared to last week. It also saw the number of new deaths growing by 51 percent. The United States came the second with a five percent increase of 468,395 new cases; and Brazil listed the third with a rise of 463,092 new cases.
In terms of global COVID-19 new deaths, the South-Asia, Southeast Asia and Western Pacific region saw sharp surges with the Western Pacific displaying an increase of 189 percent in number, the Philippines leading with the grim record of 1,321 new deaths, 400 percent more than last week.
Furthermore, new virus variants continue to spread to other countries, with the variant B117 first identified in the UK reported in 132 countries, the variant B 1351 originating from South Africa present in 82 countries, and the P1 first identified in Brazil now established in 52 countries.
The WHO also noted that existing vaccines have displayed reduced efficacy against variants, even if the related studies remained limited in number.
As an example, the AstraZeneca vaccine saw reduction in post-vaccine neutralization for variant B117, while it saw “substantial reduction” for the variant originating from South Africa.
Studies also reported “evidence of more substantial reduction” in post-vaccine neutralization of the variant first found in Brazil for AstraZeneca, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines.
Earlier this week, the WHO stressed that measures such as wearing masks and hand hygiene were still important as “we are in a critical point of the pandemic right now.”.
- Viettel Global to join UPCOM and increase charter capital
- Officials fear stubble burning to continue for two more weeks in Punjab
- Key contests to watch out for in seventh and final phase of LS polls 2019
- Trump made 50 false claims last week, 13 about the whistleblower
- Gold Rate Today: Gold climbs on positive global sentiment, higher spot demand
- Kitchen supported by Meghan's cookbook is housed inside mosque 'which has links to 19 terror suspects including Jihadi John'
- Measles cases 'likely' to break yearly record in just 4 months
- World Breastfeeding Week 2019: Common Breastfeeding Difficulties & Its Solutions
- Worst day of Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo as 27 new cases of killer virus are confirmed in just 24 hours
- World Breastfeeding Week 2019: Why You Should Not Have Spicy Food While Breastfeeding
- World Breastfeeding Week 2019: Everything You Should Know About Breastfeeding While Pregnant
- Week 10 NFL picks, odds, TV schedule: Vikings upset Cowboys in Dallas, 49ers remain unbeaten
Global cases of COVID-19 continue to increase for a seventh consecutive week: WHO have 414 words, post on en.nhandan.org.vn at April 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.