The world is seeing increasing investment in e-commerce and other digital economy sectors, but there are few listed companies in these areas in Vietnam, and foreign investors are unhappy about this, Dominic Scriven, its chairman, said.
The Vietnamese market remains small with few quality shares, and all good companies have seen their foreign ownership caps nearly reached, he told VnExpress .
In the first four months of this year foreign investors’ net selling on the Ho Chi Minh Stock Exchange has topped VND12.76 trillion ($553 million), nearly the same as the whole of last year (VND13.33 trillion).
Scriven said when the market situation is unfavorable, for instance amid the Covid-19 pandemic, foreign investors’ first reaction is to withdraw.
The strengthening of the U.S. dollar is also causing concern among them about investing in developing markets, and they are switching on developed ones, he said.
However, with foreign investors accounting for only around 5 percent of total holdings, the market seems unaffected, he said.
The VN-Index is being supported by new investors, a trend that has been seen in other markets such as South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand when incomes reach a certain level, he added.
- Stock market gains top 12 per cent in May
- ‘Overpriced’ US Stock Market a ‘Bubble’ in Disconnect From Economic Reality, Warn Investors
- Inequality in America was huge before the pandemic. The stock market is making it worse
- Government mulls stock market circuit breakers
- Stock market players hail covered warrants on 1st anniversary
- China's stock market closes at highest level in five years
- Wall Street follows solid stock market rally with pullback
- D-Street’s top fund manager says write off FY21, double SIPs to bet on rapid growth in FY22
- Reforms needed to attract foreign portfolio investment: fund manager
- For shrinking stock markets, corona crisis looks like a turning point
Foreign stock market investors pull out on lack of dotcom companies: fund manager have 294 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at April 30, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.