|Champions League semis likely to go ahead: UEFA president, (FRANCK FIFE / AFP)|
“There is relatively little chance that next week’s matches will not be played..,” Ceferin told Slovenian television Pop TV late Wednesday.
“The key thing is that the season has already started. If we cancelled the matches, television stations would have compensation demands,” added Ceferin, who is Slovenian.
Football’s most powerful clubs faced mounting calls on Thursday for reprisals over the European Super League fiasco, as the rebel competition’s boss insisted it was merely “on standby” despite nine of the 12 founding teams pulling out.
The breakaway league folded just 48 hours after its unveiling following blanket opposition from fans and officials.
Just Barcelona and Real Madrid, along with Italian champions Juventus — who admitted the lucrative project could not now go ahead — are left after top British clubs and others withdrew.
“There is 244 clubs on our side out of the 247 in Europe… We expect they (Super League clubs) will realise their mistakes and suffer the consequences,” Ceferin said.
“It’s been a while since I last saw such a conspiracy… From time to time I would hear rumours that something was being prepared, but I naively could not believe that the people who were talking with me on a daily basis about our future were, in fact, preparing a different thing behind our backs,” he said.
Ceferin further slammed Juventus president Andrea Agnelli, one of the key figures behind the Super League project, for his “greed”.
“For me it is plainly horrible to see greed can be so powerful that it makes you care nothing about the sport we all love, about European culture and tradition, about fans and, ultimately, about personal friendships,” said Ceferin — a family friend of Agnelli.
- Champions League semi-final draw: Real Madrid take on Atletico, Monaco play Juventus
- Barca vs. Livepool promises to be a European classic in Champions League semi
- Manchester United add youngsters Angel Gomes and Ethan Hamilton to Champions League squad
- Poch in tears as Tottenham celebrate reaching Champions League final after stunning comeback
- Paulo Dybala could miss out on Juventus' Champions League squad, says Maurizio Sarri
- Mauricio Pochettino suggests he could walk away from Tottenham if club wins 'miracle' Champions League
- UEFA in Discussions with clubs to Expand Women’s Champions League
- Chelsea guaranteed record £45m TV windfall from Champions League
- Liverpool to investigate complaints that Spanish police assaulted fans ahead of Champions League draw with Sevilla
- Promotion and relegation part of explosive Champions League plans
- 'Now it's Moura's miracle': How world reacted to Tottenham's Champions League heroics against Ajax
- Man Utd discovered the blueprint to stopping Liverpool, says Genk boss ahead of Champions League clash
Champions League semis likely to go ahead: UEFA president have 436 words, post on vir.com.vn at April 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.