The Philippines has seen a surge in new cases of Covid-19
Museums, game arcades and driving schools have been ordered to shut, while church and restaurant capacity has been reduced to 30 percent as authorities struggle to contain the fast-spreading virus.
The temporary measures come as the number of daily new infections in the country hit 7,103 — the highest since the start of the crisis — taking its caseload to more than 648,000, with most of the active cases in the capital.
Experts have warned the figure could reach 11,000 a day by the end of the month, while the Covid-19 task force has called for available vaccines to be deployed to virus hot spots.
On Friday, the Philippines’ drug regulator approved Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine for emergency use — the fourth jab to get the green light.
Moscow registered the vaccine in August before large-scale clinical trials, but leading medical journal The Lancet has since said it is safe and over 90 percent effective.
The Philippines has received more than a million doses of vaccines developed by China’s Sinovac and British-Swedish drug maker AstraZeneca this month.
The government hopes to acquire enough vaccines to inoculate 70 million people by the end of this year.
Targeted lockdowns, strict night-time curfews, a stay-at-home order for all children and a ban on foreigners entering the country have been introduced in the past fortnight.
There are growing fears that the entire capital, where 12 million people were forced into a crippling monthslong lockdown a year ago, could be shut down again as hospital beds fill up.
“It’s alarming because there are areas in Metro Manila — Manila, Quezon City, Taguig and Makati — which are already in the high-risk category of more than 70 percent (hospital bed occupancy). Some are at 83 percent,” Health Undersecretary Leopoldo Vega told reporters.
He said of the roughly 7,000 hospital beds allocated for Covid-19 patients in the capital, 54 percent were now occupied.
The resurgence of the virus has been blamed on poor compliance with health protocols and more contagious strains.
- Slovakia records the highest number of new HIV cases in history
- New York City meets its HIV goal two years early: Over 90% of residents with the virus now know their status and have non-transmissable levels in their blood thanks to treatment
- More Than 90 Percent of People with HIV Diagnoses in New York City Receive Treatment, Mayor Says
- Swimmer Hoang ready to conquer new challenges
- Vietnam swimmer Nguyen Huy Hoang qualifies for 2020 Olympics after smashing SEA Games record
- New test for Lyme disease could spot the tick-borne infection in just 15 minutes
- Last month was the joint hottest November on record - on a par with temperatures seen in 2015 and 2016, data from EU's Earth observation programme shows
- Swimmer Huy Hoang smashes SEA Games record
- EXCLUSIVE: Bill Clinton was Jeffrey Epstein's closest 'celebrity mate' and a frequent guest at his New Mexico ranch with wife Hillary, staying at the pedophile's cowboy-themed village, say estate workers
- Three men set illegal speed record driving across US
Philippines logs record new coronavirus infections have 513 words, post on dtinews.vn at March 20, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.