Main index makes slight rebound
The Saigon Times
|Investors watch stock prices on electronic boards at a securities company in HCMC. The VN-Index of the Hochiminh Stock Exchange made a mild increase at the close today, March 5 – PHOTO: VNA|
HCMC – Despite a system error slowing order placing activities down, the VN-Index of the Hochiminh Stock Exchange made a mild increase at the close today, March 5, backed by large-cap stocks.
Market breadth was positive as gainers outnumbered losers by 264 to 169. The main index inched up 0.17 points, against the previous session, at 1,168.69.
Trade volume totaled 594.8 million shares worth VND15 trillion, down 11.7% in volume and 10.8% in value from the session earlier. There were 26.6 million shares valued at VND1.1 trillion traded in block deals.
The gain of many stocks in the VN30 basket such as steelmaker HPG, consumer goods company MSN, and lenders MBB, STB, TCB and ACB contributed to the rise of the main index.
Many stocks in the gas and oil sector were in positive territory, with PVC, PVE and PGC ending in their ceiling prices.
Some securities stocks, including HCM, CTS, BSI and VIX, were among key drivers of the southern bourse.
Electricity firm POW reported its record matching volume of 44.4 million shares, taking the lead on the southern market by liquidity. Bank stock STB came second with over 24 million shares changing hands.
On the negative side, some largecaps such as dairy firm VNM, housing developer VHM, property firm VIC and lender VCB lost 1%-1.6%.
On the Hanoi Stock Exchange, the HNX-Index continued its upward trend and improved by 4.03 points, or 1.58%, from the day earlier, at 259.8. Over 151.8 million shares worth VND2.4 trillion changed hands on the northern bourse.
Lender SHB stood at the reference price, but was the most actively traded stock on the northern market with over 20 million shares traded.
Many securities stocks gained steam, with BVS and MBS soaring by 6.6% and 5.8%, respectively, at the close.
- Wall Street set to open slightly higher after sharp slide
- US STOCKS-Wall Street set to open slightly higher after sharp slide
- Baltic index hits two-month trough on sluggish demand
- U.S. Dollar Index Futures (DX) Technical Analysis – Still Looking at Long-Liquidation, Major Short-Selling Hasn’t Started Yet
- Mets' John Maine suffers setback in rehab start, will have shoulder examined on Monday in New York
- 10 worst states in America to make a living in 2015
- New construction jumps, making a strong rebound in Jan.
- GLOBAL MARKETS-After bruising week, global stocks make fragile gains ahead of U.S jobs data
- U.S. home prices up for fifth month in a row, rising slightly in October
- Kobe Bryant breaks index finger as Los Angeles Lakers win 11th straight
- U.S. weekly jobless claims rise slightly; layoffs still low
- US weekly jobless claims rise slightly; layoffs still low
Main index makes slight rebound have 451 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.