The Hanoitimes – Local police are investigating the incidents shortly after the cases reported.
Vietnam's Permanent Deputy Prime Minister Truong Hoa Binh has required Hanoi to verify signs of physical abuse toward foreign women after accusations have gone viral over the past few days.
|A victim of sexual harassment in Hanoi. Photo: Zing|
Hanoi's authorities need to have strict penalties to perpetrators of sexual harassment that has been reported on local media, according to the Government's Office.
The accusations were filed after a number of foreign women told local media and communities on social platforms, triggering indignation over the molestation that now targets to a wider range of victims.
News on media shows that from late January to late February, a number of adolescents covering face with masks and riding on motorbikes with hidden plates committed sexual molestation to four foreign women who were strolling around West Lake, one of the most famous lakes in Hanoi where many expats reside.
The abuse has somewhat threatened walking outside at night in that area of the city.
Regarding the accusations, some embassies in Hanoi have warned their citizens of the situation.
The US Embassy in Hanoi urged American citizens to be careful and consider traveling in groups when walking or jogging in that area.
On March 4, Chairman of the Hanoi People's Committee Chu Ngoc Anh asked the local police to investigate these incidents.
Lieutenant General Nguyen Hai Trung, director of the Hanoi Department of Police, demanded extensive investigations on the cases.
- FCC to require anti-robocall tech after “voluntary” plan didn’t work out
- Phone scams on the rise: Hanoi Police
- Calls grow for government probe into Labour's 'backroom deal' with Dubai's billionaire ruler Sheikh Mohammed amid claims Foreign Secretary Robin Cook shut down police investigation against him as a 'diplomatic favour'
- ACLU accuses U.S. of separating immigrant families seeking asylum
- Dubai ruler's kidnapped daughter Princess Shamsa 'contacted British officers for help 17 YEARS after she was snatched from Cambridge street', lawyer claims - fuelling calls for inquiry into actions of police and Foreign Office
- Australian FBI suspect admits to role with Islamic State after capture in Syria
- 'Sooner or later, we will hear news about Dawood's end'
- Three brothers who were sexually assaulted by priest for years sue the Vatican because Holy See 'put children in peril' by not reporting abuse to cops
- Sheikh Maktoum's UK property empire that is worth more than £100m alone: From the £75m Surrey estate the billionaire uses to escape Dubai's summer heat to the 63,000-acre Highland retreat with three helipads
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES MARCH 9
- BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES MARCH 13
- Calendar Feedback March 15: Jazz-rock’s pioneer? Reader smells a rat
Hanoi required to verify accusations of molestation toward foreigners in West Lake have 440 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.