ORLANDO (CBSMiami) – Walmarts rollout of COVID-19 vaccine at nearly 120 stores across the state was not without its hiccups.
During the sign-up period, the retail chain's website allowed Florida residents under 65, but deemed extremely vulnerable to Covid-19 by hospital providers, to register for appointments.
State Rep. Carlos Guillermo Smith said this week his office worked with people under 65 with comorbidities to sign up on Walmart's website.
"We got them appointments and then it was discovered that Walmart actually made a mistake and so what has happened, they have halted new appointments on their website for medically vulnerable younger than 65," he said.
On Friday, Walmart joined Winn-Dixie and Publix in offering the Moderna vaccine. Governor Ron DeSantis has made vaccinating seniors and front line health care workers the priority.
Smith said he spoke with a representative for Walmart who acknowledged the mistake, saying he predicts several thousand people signed up before Walmart changed the requirements on its online portal.
In explaining the mistake, Walmart said the scheduling program defaulted to the criteria on the Department of Health website. They added that they didn't know how many people registered for the vaccine but promised to honor all who did.
Smith said with so many people desperate to get a vaccine, this type of mistake can be discouraging.
"It's extremely frustrating and sends a mixed message, but you know we don't want these people to give up hope. There is still hope," he said.
Twenty-five thousand doses of the vaccine are being split up among select Florida Walmarts. That's in addition to the 325,000 doses that DeSantis said they received this week.
In hard-hit Miami-Dade County, only two Walmart locations are getting the vaccine – one site in Hialeah and one in Miami Gardens.
Walmart vaccine locations in Broward are in the following cities: Cooper City, Dania Beach, Davie, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Pompano Beach, and a Sam's Club in Sunrise .
Eligible people wanting to get the vaccine must make an appointment . The shots are free.
- ‘Bravo, Russia’: Israeli Immunologist on World’s First Registered COVID-19 Vaccine
- Russia's COVID-19 Vaccine is Work of Several Decades, Gamaleya Deputy Research Director Reveals
- Rushing a Covid-19 vaccine before we get full data would be an enormous mistake
- Russia to Publish Info on Pre-Clinical, Clinical Trials of COVID-19 Vaccine Soon
- US Makes Deal with Biotech Company for 100 Million Doses of Potential COVID-19 Vaccine
- Covid-19 vaccine trials have been slow to recruit Black and Latino people -- and that could delay a vaccine
- FDA Won’t ‘Cut Corners’ To Approve A Covid-19 Vaccine, Commissioner Says
- Vietnam has not finalized the purchase of Covid-19 vaccine from Russia
- Kellyanne Conway Dismisses Russian COVID-19 Vaccine, Says They're 'Nowhere Near Where We Are'
- Covid Speed Read: PM Modi guarantees Covid-19 vaccine for all; Russia begins production of Sputnik V
- ‘Very worrying’: Few UK Asian volunteers in Covid-19 vaccine trials
- People in the UK 'will be first' to get Oxford University's Covid-19 vaccine, Number 10 says amid claims Donald Trump will 'fast-track' the jab to make progress in US's crisis before the presidential election
- China promises to prioritize Mekong nations for Covid-19 vaccine
- Vietnam to buy Russian Covid-19 vaccine
- Production of COVID-19 Vaccine Starts in Russia, But Half of Country's Medics Won't Take It
- Russia offers to help US with Covid-19 vaccine; US says no
- Govt kick-starts talks to explore Covid-19 vaccine deal
- Chinese Covid-19 vaccine contender made by state-owned pharmaceutical may be on the market by December - and costs $130
- How to Enroll in the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Trial after NEJM Report Shows Promising Results
- First Covid-19 vaccine trial moving at a good clip, but officials still "very concerned"
Walmart Website Mistakenly Let Those Under 65 With Medical Conditions Register For COVID-19 Vaccine have 646 words, post on miami.cbslocal.com at February 12, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.