HÀ NỘI — Việt Nam is a responsible member of the international community and always upholds provisions under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas (UNCLOS 1982), spokesperson for the foreign ministry Lê Thị Thu Hằng said.
She made the statement on Thursday in the regular press briefing, held virtually this time due to COVID-19 in Hà Nội, when asked for Việt Nam's reaction to the US Navy's first freedom of navigation operation (FONOP) held under the Biden administration in February.
The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain reportedly conducted the FONOP near the Trường Sa (Spratly) and Hoàng Sa (Paracel) archipelagoes in the South China Sea (known as the East Sea by Việt Nam) over which Việt Nam has repeatedly claimed sovereignty, but contested by mainland China and China's Taiwan.
"By engaging in innocent passage without giving prior notification to or asking permission from any of the claimants," the US Navy noted in a statement.
Also regarding the recent statement by French Minister of Armed Forces Florence Parly that France had sent the nuclear submarine, SNA Emeraude, to patrol the South China Sea, together with the naval support ship BSAM Seine, the said spokesperson said: "As a responsible member of the international community and a signatory of the UNCLOS 1982, Việt Nam always upholds the provisions of the UNCLOS, including items related to maritime and flight activities over the sea regions set up in accordance with UNCLOS 1982."
"The maintenance of peace, stability, security and order, safety, maritime and overflight freedom, the rule of law, with respect to sovereignty, sovereign rights and jurisdiction of the littoral countries in the South China Sea, in a manner that is consistent with the UNCLOS 1982, is the shared goal, interests, responsibility, and aspiration of all countries and of the international community," Hằng said.
Việt Nam hopes that all countries would strive for "positive contribution" to the maintenance of peace and stability on the basis of international law in the South China Sea region, the Vietnamese diplomat stressed. — VNS
- Zimbabwe says election results 'very soon' as international community urges for calm
- Harrisburg International Airport listed in Boston Globe report on surveillance of U.S. travelers
- New routes help Sacramento International set record with 1.1 million passengers in July
- Burqa Ban: Protests Erupt in Denmark as Law Prohibits Women From Wearing Face Veils
- Internal Affairs clears deputies in motorcyclist incident
- Lafayette government releases statement in response to Drag Queen Story Hour at public library
- I Went to Prison for Exposing the CIA’s Torture Program. Why Are the People Responsible for It Walking Free?
- UN Torture Report Stirs Pressure for Congressional Response
- Dr. Glenda Baskin Glover Installed as 30th International President of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc®
- International police condemn President Trump’s MS-13 speech pushing use of force on gang suspects
- London Court of International Arbitration finds the Djiboutian Government’s Seizure of Doraleh Terminal Illegal
- Sierra, MCC and MDLY Announce Merger to Create 2nd Largest Internally Managed BDC
VN responsible member of international community, observes international law: Spokesperson have 538 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at February 25, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.