FPT Shop, a nationwide electronic retail chain, said laptop sales from February 16-18 were five times higher than normal.
February 16 marked the end of the Lunar New Year holidays when many cities and provinces, including Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, announced that students would study from home until the end of the month as they sought to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Nguyen The Kha, director of telecoms-mobile products, FPT Shop said: “The sudden surge in demand for laptops came after schools announced classes would be online. We had anticipated higher demand but were still surprised by the increase.”
Laptops priced at VND10-12 million ($434-520 million) were the most popular followed by brands like Dell, HP, Acer, and Asus that cost VND16-20 million.
There was also demand for high-end products costing VND20-30 million like Apple's MacBook Pro and Microsoft's Surface 7 Pro.
With online classes depending on videos, sellers also reported a spike in demand for webcams.
One shop on Thai Ha Street in Hanoi's Dong Da District, where many electronics stores are clustered, reported unusually high sales of around 100 webcams a day between February 17-19.
Some stores ran out of stock just like in March last year when the coronavirus outbreak first began.
ShopDunk, a chain that sells Apple products, said iPad sales are typically modest, but in recent days it has accounted for 20 percent of total sales, second only to the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
- Webcams, TVs and even your phone’s SCREEN: How to spot if your devices are being hacked… and the best ways to stop it
- Fears for serious strain on health services as Ireland’s population set to skyrocket by 1.1 million over next 12 years
- From ‘skyrocketing’ demand to scepticism: one year of medical marijuana in Germany
- Computer perv, 48, groomed more than 500 kids on Movie Star Planet website using username HornyDaddy
- Man hangs himself live on webcam on Christmas Day in chatroom where people go to 'insult each other'
- Who is Kate Maltby and what ‘corset’ text did Damian Green send? Journalist who accused Cabinet minister of touching her knee
- 300,000 new university places needed to keep up with demand – study
- Tesco shelf stacker becomes YouTube superstar making £12million fortune playing computer games
- Sunderland entrepreneur’s radical home-workout experience wins $120,000 investment in USA
- Humiliated wife discovers hubby clocked up £1k phone bill sending his mistress dozens of messages on their HONEYMOON
- Isolated at home, Guatemala president moves close to US with Israel move
- Preview: Leave your 9 To 5 worries at home and enjoy a feel-good musical
Study from home sends demand for computers, webcams skyrocketing have 419 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at February 22, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.