The Vietnamese-American photojournalist received the medal Wednesday at the White House from President Donald Trump along with country music star Toby Keith and bluegrass singer Ricky Skaggs, the Washington Post reported.The National Medal of Arts is an award and title created by the U.S. Congress in 1984 and the highest honor given to artists and arts patrons by the U.S. government. It is given to artists who “are deserving of special recognition by reason of their outstanding contributions to the excellence, growth, support and availability of the arts in the United States,” according to a government website.The “napalm girl” photograph, shot on June 8, 1972, caught 9-year-old Phan Thi Kim Phuc and other terrified children running down a road near Trang Bang District in the southeastern province of Tay Ninh after a South Vietnamese plane had dropped napalm on civilians.The U.S. dropped almost 400,000 tons of napalm bombs between 1963 and 1973. It is estimated that 60 percent of the Vietnamese people hit by napalm suffered fifth-degree burns the burn going down to the bone.The photo won the Pulitzer Prize in 1973 for Spot News Photography. Ut is a regular visitor to Vietnam since the war ended in 1975.
- Ken Burns' New Documentary Exposes the Emotion Behind the Vietnam War
- Vietnam War: New Ken Burns Documentary Dismisses the Origins of the Futile, Disastrous Conflict
- SEA Games: Vietnam boost tally with 24 medals
- SEA Games: Vietnam stays second with 14 medals on day 5
- Vietnam crave long-awaited gold medal in SEA Games men’s football
- A one-man rescue mission in Vietnam War
- UTPB nuclear engineering track receives national grant
- Vietnam up to second in medal tally at SEA Games following 98th gold
- Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley Takes Shot At Trump Supporters
- WALSH: The Daily Wire Created A Doctored Photo Of A Dog Receiving The Medal Of Honor. I Apologize For This Evil Hoax.
Vietnam War photographer receives National Medal of Arts from Trump have 299 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at January 14, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.