Quang Tri (VNA) – The central province of Quang Tri, which has the greatest amount of unexploded ordnance (UXO) in the country, is working to clear about 3,000ha of land each year to become the first Vietnamese locality to be safe from UXO accidents by 2025.
The provincial People’s Committee has issued a plan for implementing an action programme for settling the consequences of UXO in 2021-2025.
Beside land clearance, Quang Tri will look to raise 10 million USD annually from foreign non-governmental organisations to address UXO, complete all cluster bomb detection activities, and publicise areas identified as dangerous due to UXO.
It plans to help 60,000 people access education on UXO and have 1,300-1,500 UXO victims and their families receive healthcare and livelihood support every year.
All local schools are expected to include UXO safety education in their curricula within the next five years.
To realise these targets, the provincial administration has devised several solutions, including stepping up the mobilisation of foreign funding for dealing with UXO, building a policy on developing human resources for UXO settlement, increasing training for those who manage and steer the work, and boosting communications to raise awareness among relevant agencies and the community and engender a sense of responsibility on the issue.
Eighty-two percent of Quang Tri’s area is contaminated by UXO. Wartime bombs and landmines have killed more than 3,430 local people and injured 5,100 others.
The province has cooperated since 1995 with international organisations such as Peace Trees Vietnam, the Mines Advisory Group, Clear Path International, and the Norwegian People’s Aid on clearing UXO./.
- Russian Hackers Will Likely Keep Targeting U.S. Politics as the Midterms Approach
- Russia's New Internet Crackdown—and How Tech-Savvy Citizens Are Trying to Thwart It
- Trump to welcome freed Korean-Americans' return to US
- Freed Americans Leave North Korea, as Trump Prepares to Welcome Them Home
- Trump welcomes freed Korean-Americans' return to US
- Americans freed 1 hour before flight out of Pyongyang
- Serial rapist was bailed SIX TIMES only to go an sexually assault mum in front of her 3-year-old child after he was freed
- After Spellings exit, UNC must try again to find accord between board and president
- NC lawmakers should stop trying to ‘discredit’ and ‘devalue’ public schools, group says
- American pastor freed from Turkish prison, on house arrest
- Jacksonville gunman specifically targeted gamers at tournament
- 'I just want to save this stream before it’s gone': Gravel operation on Saline Creek targeted with citizen lawsuit
Quang Tri targets 3,000ha of land freed from UXO each year have 410 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at January 26, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.