Indonesia’s Mount Merapi has erupted, belching out hot ash clouds which travelled as far as three kilometres away from its crater Agung Supriyanto
The volcano, near Indonesia’s cultural capital Yogyakarta, shot hot ash into the air around three dozen times throughout the day.
Some of it travelled as far as three kilometres (two miles) away from its peak, Indonesia’s geological agency said.
Authorities told residents to stay outside a five-kilometre no-go zone, warning about possible lava flows.
Fiery red lava has been seen flowing down the volcano in recent days, but authorities have kept its alert status at the second-highest level.
Mount Merapi’s last major eruption in 2010 killed more than 300 people, and forced the evacuation of around 280,000 residents from surrounding areas.
That was its most powerful eruption since 1930, which killed around 1,300 people, while another explosion in 1994 took about 60 lives.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific “Ring of Fire”, a vast zone of geological instability where the collision of tectonic plates causes frequent quakes and major volcanic activity.
The Southeast Asian archipelago nation has nearly 130 active volcanoes.
- Krakatoa volcano erupts spewing plumes of ash 1,640ft into the air as ‘loud rumbles’ heard 90 miles away
- Japan's Sakurajima Volcano Erupts, Spewing Lava Bombs and Sending Ash 11,000 Feet into the Air
- 'This Is Not a Fireworks Show': Villarrica Volcano Erupts in Chile
- Sakurajima Volcano Erupts in Japan, Spewing Lava, Sparking Lightning
- White Island volcano survivors held their breath underwater for TWO MINUTES to escape almost certain death
- The science of volcanic eruptions
- How Icelandic volcano issued warnings months before its eruption
- Photos: Toxic Gases Stop Rescue Mission at Japanese Volcano Mount Ontake
- Chile’s Calbuco Volcano Is Erupting for the First Time in More Than 4 Decades
- Incredible satellite image captures erupting Krakatoa volcano spewing debris into the air
- Satellite Radar Could Predict Deadliest Eruptions
- Astronaut Snaps Photo of Mount Etna Erupting
Indonesian volcano erupts, spewing hot ash three kilometres away have 330 words, post on dtinews.vn at January 27, 2021. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.