The Undoing finale delivered a ratings bonanza for HBO on Sunday night.
The David E. Kelley-created series, which stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant, was the most watched night of viewing for an HBO original series since the season 2 finale of the previous Kelley-Kidman collaboration, Big Little Lies.
Three million viewers tuned in, per Deadline.
Engrossing: The Undoing finale delivered a ratings bonanza for HBO on Sunday night
Also according to the industry gossip site, the show was HBO’s ‘first original series to grow consistently every week over the course of its season’.
Viewership across all platforms increased 43% from last week and ended up almost 5 times higher than the viewership for the series debut night.
It was also the #1 new scripted series across all of TV year-to-date on social media.
Meanwhile British viewers finally discovered who killed Elena Alves last night after waiting with bated breath for the gripping finale of The Undoing, which has captivated audiences across the globe.
Worthy successor: The David E. Kelley-created series, which stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant, was the most watched night of viewing for an HBO original series since the season 2 finale of the previous Kelley-Kidman collaboration, Big Little Lies
On the grow: Viewership across all platforms increased 43% from last week and ended up almost 5 times higher than the viewership for the series debut night
And the conclusion of the psychological thriller left viewers with more questions than answers and begging for a second season of the HBO show, which aired on Sky Atlantic in the UK.
While the main ‘whodunnit’ was answered, many viewers have taken to Twitter to ask more burning questions and beg the producers to renew for a second season.
‘Bravo @HBO on The Undoing, I’d 100 per cent watch season 2, ‘ one said.
HBO hasn’t announced they are renewing for a second season, and officially billed the show as a ‘limited series’ meaning it will only have one season.
But director Susanne Bier has said she’d love writer David E Kelley to pen a second season, while Kelley himself has said he’s not going to ‘rule anything out’.
The conclusion of the psychological thriller starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant (pictured) has left viewers with more questions than answers and begging for a second season of the HBO show, which aired on Sky Atlantic in the UK
Speaking to Marie Claire earlier this week, Susanne Bier said: ’I would love for David [E Kelley] to write a season 2,
‘But, as of now, there are no plans, no nothing of a season 2. There might never be any plans [for] it. I think it would be so much fun to do a season 2, but right now it’s just wishful thinking.’
Meanwhile, David E Kelley, who wrote and produced the show told TVLine that he isn’t going to rule out the possibility of a second season.
Kelley, who previously worked with Nicole Kidman on Big Little Lies, referenced his other hit HBO show, which was also originally billed as a single-season drama.
British viewers finally discovered who killed Elena Alves ( Matilda De Angelis, pictured) last night after waiting with bated breath for the gripping finale of The Undoing, which has captivated audiences across the globe
‘I think we’re satisfied. We’re happy with the way it ended. I said there wouldn’t be [a second season of] Big Little Lies, so I won’t say that now.
‘I learned my lesson. But that is not our intent.
However, the stars seem less willing to move for a second season, with Nicole Kidman telling Entertainment Weekly, one of the reasons she signed up to the show was because it was a limited series.
‘It’s not like a drama series where you’re not quite sure how they’re going to evolve and you have a next season,’
While the main ‘whodunnit’ was answered, many viewers have taken to Twitter to ask more burning questions and beg the producers to renew for a second (Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman are pictured in the show)
director Susanne Bier has said she’d love writer David E Kelley to pen a second season, while Kelley himself has said he’s not going to ‘rule anything out’. Donald Sutherland is pictured in teh show
Viewers have begged HBO to renew the show for a second season with many commenting on their love for it and comparing it to Big Little Lies
‘That’s why I say it’s like cinema, because you have a beginning, middle, and end. The thing about a limited series is it’s so difficult because you’re writing a much longer form of cinema that you have to keep people engaged in, and in some ways that’s so much harder. That, as an actor, is delicious.
The Australian star also has a busy filming schedule in coming months, including a potential third season of Big Little Lies as well as Nine Perfect Strangers, another miniseries directed by David E Kelley.
Hugh Grant hasn’t announced any major projects in the pipeline, but has said the show ties up neatly and not indicated any intention for a second season.
Nicole Kidman (pictured in the show) hasn’t made it clear if she’d return for season 2 of the show
Speaking to Vulture , the London-born star said the ending was tweaked to make it explicit who the killer was, to tie up any loose ends.
And Grant even told Vulture that he and Bier decided to tweak the finale episode to make it crystal clear who was responsible for the death of Elena, thus ensuring there would be no loose ends that needed tying up in followup seasons.
Some fans have speculated a second season is unlikely as it’s based on a book – You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz – which does not have a sequel.
However, the show already diverges significantly from its source material – and Big Little Lies, which shares members of the cast and crew, as well as plot points, with The Undoing had a second season despite being based on a book without a sequel.
Fans have taken to Twitter to beg HBO for a renewal, with one comparing it to Big Little Lies.
Tweeting HBO, one wrote: ‘Hear me out- Big Little Lies wasn’t supposed to have a season 2 because there was no second book, but it got one because of the fan base. PLEASE DO THIS FOR THE UNDOING WE NEED MORE IT WAS AMAZING!’
Another said: ‘The season finale of The Undoing was fantastic my goodness. My question now though is would there be a season 2,’
A third added: ‘There must be a season 2 to The Undoing.’
Femail has contacted HBO for comment.
- Nicole Kidman reveals the 'disturbing' impact filming The Undoing had on her body as her immune system doesn't know 'between acting and truth'
- Nicole Kidman says her The Undoing co-star Hugh Grant is 'fascinated' with the 'secret language' she uses with her sister Antonia
- Must-watch TV shows in 2021 from Nicole Kidman's new drama to Suranne Jones crime thriller
- Hugh Grant teases The Undoing season 2 all about Grace, Franklin and Henry after Jonathan is sent to prison
- Nicole Kidman opens up about the 'disturbing' side effects playing Grace on The Undoing had on her
- Nicole Kidman recalls 'disturbing' impact filming 'The Undoing' had on her personality
- The Undoing's Matilda de Angelis oozes glamour in a peach coat and beret as she shoots a boat scene with Liev Schreiber on a Venice canal
- The Undoing's Matilda De Angelis channels 1940s style as she joins Liev Schreiber on set of Across The River And Into The Trees in Venice
- 'Of course we don't have an audience. This isn't a MAGA rally': Jimmy Kimmel leads the stars targeting Donald Trump at the Emmys and jokes that Jerry Falwell is 'into Watchmen' after his pool boy sex scandal
- The Undoing star Noma Dumezweni joins the cast of live action adaption of The Little Mermaid
- Bee Gees legend Barry Gibb reveals new album is ‘profound therapy’ as he is ‘finally able to enjoy the songs again’
- Best Streaming Service 2021: HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, And More
- Best Streaming Service In 2021: HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, And More
- HBO Max: Everything to know, before WW84 is gone
- John Lee Hancock On A 30-Year Odyssey Making ‘The Little Things’ With Denzel Washington, Rami Malek & Jared Leto, And The Abrupt HBO Max Pandemic Pivot: The Deadline Q&A
- Why smart women still swoon over Mills & Boon: Cheesy plots and fifty shades of cliche... yet millions can't help adoring them. As Sarah Ferguson joins the stable of authors, LIBBY PURVES pays tribute to a literary institution
- Emmy Awards 2020: Paul Mescal's family jokingly call him a 'LOSER' after he misses out on his Lead Actor award for Normal People at virtual ceremony
- Emmy Awards 2020: Schitt's Creek superfan Elton John gushes the show is his 'all-time favourite' as he makes surprise virtual appearance during Outstanding Comedy Series nominations
- Friends stars Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox reunite at-home for the Emmys: 'We've been roommates since 1994!'
- Emmy Awards 2020: Jennifer Aniston shares candid BTS Instagram snaps as she sips champagne in a face mask while Reese Witherspoon gets ready with a masked glam squad in her SLIPPERS
The Undoing finale draws HBO's largest audience since Big Little Lies with three million tuning in to see how the Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant thriller ends have 1534 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 1, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.