NEW YORK, Nov. 30 (Xinhua) — New York City has been carrying out more tests at more sites to contain the surge of the COVID-19 pandemic, as the coronavirus infection rate hit new highs consecutively in days, according to Mayor Bill de Blasio on Monday.
“#COVID19 may be the biggest crisis we’ve ever faced — and testing is the solution. We’re bringing in more than 20 additional testing sites across the city to make it even easier to get tested and fight back a second wave,” the mayor tweeted.
“Here’s some good news: We may be facing the highest number of #COVID19 cases we’ve seen since April, but our Test & Trace Corps is meeting the challenge. 95% of all positive cases have been reached by our team. This is how we fight back #COVID19,” he added.
NYC’s COVID-19 infection rate on a seven-day average has reached a new high of 4.03 percent on Monday, compared with 3.9 percent one day earlier. The rate topped 3 percent on Nov. 18 and has remained above the level ever since. Three percent is deemed by the municipal government as a threshold for a second wave of the pandemic.
City health officials are ramping up COVID-19 testing to prepare for an expected surge in coronavirus cases as New Yorkers return from traveling over the Thanksgiving weekend and the holiday season begins, reported The Wall Street Journal on Monday.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said it predicts approximately 504,000 travelers will pass through its three major airports in the New York metropolitan area between Wednesday and Sunday, which is down nearly 71 percent compared with the same time last year.
As of Monday afternoon, coronavirus deaths have added up to 24,274 and confirmed cases to 311,979 in New York City, according to The City, a project that tracks the spread of confirmed COVID-19 infections and fatalities in New York City, based on information provided by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the governor’s office, The COVID Tracking Project and the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. Enditem
- EPA testing drums discovered at Nimitz Hill
- NYC files federal lawsuit accusing 22 online sellers of targeting young with flavored e-cigarettes
- Agent Orange testing heads off-base
- A secretive lab in Cincinnati is testing hundreds of vaping products, seeking links to lung disease
- Edited Transcript of ACRS earnings conference call or presentation 8-Aug-19 9:00pm GMT
- Edited Transcript of HELE earnings conference call or presentation 8-Oct-19 1:00pm GMT
- Stay Out of the Waters; Hazardous Seas are Life Threatening
- 1 fatality reported in Saipan
- One Fatality Reported in Saipan
- Public Health Emergency Declared in the CNMI
- Real Men Wear Pink: Dr. Felix Cabrera
- Dangerous Surf Conditions
- Former Catholic school finance officer arrested for theft
- Did you fall victim to the "Believe, Achieve, Motivate" scam?
- UPDATE 2-GSK recalls prescription-only versions of heartburn drug Zantac
- FBI Silent On Lab Results In Kremlin Foe's Suspected Poisoning
- Waters, beaches still dangerous after Yutu's passage
- NWS calls Yutu "a monster"
- Hunt for bomber who sent explosive devices to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama as Trump calls for 'unity'
- Hunt for bomber who sent explosive devices to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama as Trump attacks media 'hostility'
NYC conducts more tests to contain surge of COVID-19: mayor have 520 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at December 1, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.