At Dong Xuan Knitting stores throughout Hanoi, crowds of people have been seen queueing up in recent days as they try to purchase face masks to combat the novel coronavirus (nCoV) epidemic.
Customers have to endure a long wait as they line up at a Dong Xuan Knitting shop on Ngo Thi Nham street.
Face masks are now in such high demand in the capital that many people wait for hours to make their purchase.
A man passes the time by reading a newspaper as he waits to be served.
As a result of an insufficient supply of face masks, each customer is only permitted to buy fives face masks at a time when shopping at a Dong Xuan Knitting store
One pack contains five antibacterial cloth masks
After enduring a long wait to buy their face masks, customers show their relief after finally making their purchase
A sign containing information about the quantity and design of the face masks is put up to aid customers.
Queues become so long that people line up on the sidewalk as they wait to enter Dong Xuan Knitting shop on Minh Khai street
The staff provide service to 100 customers waiting in line
The number of people wanting to make a purchase causes a long wait
According to a staff between 5,000 and 10,000 masks are sold each day. Despite this huge output they are still unable to meet the demands of shoppers
A local resident says he was forced to line up for over an hour to buy five face masks for his family. The reason he chose to shop at Dong Xuan Knitting shop is because of their reasonable price and guarantee on quality
A pharmaceutical company in the Central Province of Thua Thien-Hue has been slapped with a fine worth VND50 million (US$2,140) after being caught selling a box of face masks at VND200,000 ($8.5), about four times higher than the regular price.
This was not the first time that Vietnamese authority detained people hoarding face masks in large quantities for illegally export to China.
- Face masks for consumers may be ineffective against air pollution
- Lift your sagging skin in 5 minutes with this easy DIY face mask!
- Detectives face unprecedented demand with three murders in Sheffield in three days
- Moldpress: Moldovan PM demands enhanced measures to prevent spread of African swine fever virus
- Viagra and flu 'drug cocktail' could prevent spread of cancer following surgery
- DRC Red cross buries victim of ebola to prevent spread of contagious viral disease
- Product Watch: Moisturising masks
- Caution urged as Okinawa measles outbreak spreads
- Rare masked booby sighted off Dana Point, hundreds of miles from natural home
- Tbilisi Protesters Warn Rallies Will Resume If Demands Not Met