Pham Tan An was sleeping when he heard a large blast.Rushing outside, An saw rock and soil pour down a mountain and bury three buildings of the Defense Economics Devision 337 barracks in Huong Phung Commune, Huong Hoa District of central Quang Tri Province.”It was past midnight [Sunday], 27 of us were asleep in the three buildings as it happened. I suddenly heard many cries for help.”Panicked, An screamed “landslide!” and immediatly tried offering his assistance to those in peril.In the light of a mobile phone, the soldier recalled seeing many of his comrades buried beneath the rubble, “feeling completely powerless.”It was then he heard Huy shout for help.”I rushed to check on him first. Though he said he’s still ok, I saw there was no way to free him from the debris. All I could do was call for help myself, and notify my superiors.”Three more landslides occurred, burying a total 22 personnel of group 337. Only five other members managed to escape. Communictions officer Pham Tan An recalls the moments when a mountain landslide hit his barracks in Quang Tri Province in the first hours of October 18, 2020. Photo by VnExpress/Hung Tien. As a communications officer with… Read full this story
- 'They Call Us God in Orange Boats': India's Disaster Relief Force Recalls Survivors' Gratitude
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister condoles Munnar landslide deaths, announces solatium
- Dak Nong approves anti-landslide projects along Krong No river
- 'Railway bosses killed my brother': Heartbroken sister of train driver who died in landslide horror crash blasts ScotRail for 'sending him to his death'
- Uttarakhand can have mohalla clinics too: Kejriwal on video of soldiers carrying woman to hospital
- Body of ANOTHER Fort Hood soldier is discovered near the Texas Army base - the third corpse in a MONTH - as Vanessa Guillen's family say 'our soldiers are not safe and living on a dangerous base'
- Fact check: Were 100 Chinese soldiers killed in the Galwan Valley clash
- Pelosi recalls the House for vote on USPS funding as mail-in ballot crisis deepens and demands Trump mega-donor and Postmaster General Louis DeJoy testify - amid reports of mailboxes being removed across US
- Fact check: Nancy Pelosi does not want to “remove votes” from soldiers overseas
- Missing ex-soldier who wanted to be killed by police started unsettling hunt
Feeling of impotence: Soldiers recall losing 22 comrades to landslide have 388 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 19, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.