An unfounded perception about the quality of treatment at jumbo centres is fuelling the shortage of ICU beds in the city, as patients prefer to wait for admission at private hospitals despite beds being available at BMC's field hospitals in Worli, BKC and Goregaon.
Top doctors on Monday told Mumbai Mirror that the ICU facilities at the jumbo centres are as good as any private hospital and they are manned by some of the most experienced doctors drawn from both public and private hospitals. "We need to shatter this myth of free treatment being equal to poor quality. The ICUs at jumbo centres are stateof-the-art," said Dr Gautam Bhansali, a physician at Bombay Hospital. Dr Bhansali was part of a group of doctors who surveyed all jumbo centres last week.
ICUs at BMC's jumbo centres better than pvt hospitals, say doctors
The death rate at the BKC centre is just 2.81 per cent. The BKC centre was opened in May and has since treated 6,472 patients with only 182 deaths. Dr Rajesh Dere, who heads
At the Dahisar jumbo, 1,685
As cases from slums go down and middle-class and upper middle-class neighbourhood and plush high-rises now contributing a bulk of
In a bid to boost people's confidence in jumbo centres, the BMC has started a mentorship programme, where top private hospitals will monitor the treatment at jumbo centres. Under this programme,
"We want to send across a message that quality treatment, which costs you nothing, is available at jumbo centres. The facilities at the jumbo centres are, in fact, better than many private hospitals. Top doctors from some of the most reputed private hospitals have been drafted to monitor patients at these centres," said Municipal Commissioner Iqbal Chahal.
The commissioner said 250 ICU beds will be added to jumbo centres by Friday. "Fifty beds were added on Monday. We have mobilised two units of doctors and staffers each from our civic run KEM, Nair and Sion hospitals to run these ICUs," he said.
Additional Municipal Commissioner Suresh Kakani said one of the reasons why people prefer private hospitals is that they are looking for a facility close to their house. "But they must remember that quality of treatment is all that matters. ICU beds are available at our jumbo facilities. Anybody can get admitted there," he said.
- Aboriginal healers treat patients alongside doctors and nurses at Lyell McEwin Hospital
- Self-harm patients need to receive better care after they are hospitalised to reduce their risk of suicide, doctors warn
- Owning a Dog Could Boost Heart Health, Say Scientists
- Healthtech disruption: An AI a day helps the doctor a long way
- Revealed: Doctors pushing new drugs don't have to admit they are funded by the pill's makers ... and a treatment for depression using Class B drug ketamine is just the latest example
- Unshredded NHS records were dumped in a town centre to weigh down scaffolding at art festival
- Physical activity among children must to tackle childhood obesity, say experts
- Doctors told parents of girl, six, who refused to eat she was 'a fussy eater' before she died of a deadly brain tumour that robbed her of appetite, energy and strength
- Specialist stroke units could save thousands of lives, England’s top doctor claims
- Patient-Centred Care remains viable option to improve healthcare delivery —Okowa
- Flesh-eating Bacteria Could Be Claiming More Victims Thanks to Climate Change, Experts Say
- Dogs' Noses Know More Than Doctors About Cancer Detection
- Eurasia Centre Vice-President: Democratic Party Is Not in Touch With Needs of American Public
- NHS could have avoided WannaCry hack with 'basic IT security', says report
- 80% childhood cancers are curable, say experts
- Where the health of Ayushman Bharat is in a shambles
- Mum nearly lost finger after nail salon's 'dirty' equipment caused huge growth
- Heartbreaking plea of sister who found big brother's GP note - only to discover he had testicular cancer
- Woman's 'headache' was actually a stroke that left her paralysed at age of 22
- This extraordinary picture reveals how an unborn baby's future can be changed forever
ICUs at BMC’s jumbo centres better than pvt hospitals, say doctors have 938 words, post on mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com at September 15, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.