CHELSEA have moved a step closer to signing Edouard Mendy after Rennes made contact to replace him with Alphonse Areola.
Blues boss Frank Lampard wants Senegal international Mendy to provide competition for the inconsistent Kepa Arrizabalaga.
And according to Lequipe, Rennes have already targeted PSG stopper Areola as their prime target to replace the Chelsea transfer target.
The Frenchman, who is under contract until 2023, spent last season at Real Madrid providing back up for Thibaut Courtois.
But he has been sent back to the French champions, who already have Keylor Navas as their No1.
Areola is keen to move on as he bids to keep his place as France’s third-choice stopper for the European Championships next summer.
The 27-year-old favours a move to the Premier League, having brought a house in London, but PSG are understood to be in talks with Rennes.
A loan move is an option, which would allow Mendy to make the move to Chelsea.
Lampard was said to be looking to replace Kepa with a mega-money moves with the likes of Jan Oblak and Marc-Andre ter Stegen initially reported.
But as he prepares to make his sixth signing this year, with the impending arrival of Kai Havertz for £90million from Bayer Leverkusen, cheaper alternatives in goal are now being discussed.
Most read in Football
England’s Foden & Greenwood ‘invited girls to hotel’ breaking Covid rules
Man City duo Mahrez and Laporte self-isolating after failing Covid test
Soccer Aid fans want Maya Jama to replace Le Tissier and Co on Soccer Saturday
PENS NOT HOT
YouTuber Chunkz misses crucial pen as England lose ANOTHER Soccer Aid shootout
GONNA GET MESSI
Ronaldo vs Messi: GOAT debate finally ended by stars who played with BOTH
Arsenal transfer news LIVE – Latest updates from the Emirates
And SunSport revealed Kepa has had a change of heart and will now fight for his place between the posts at Stamford Bridge.
Mendy was identified as a more affordable option for Chelsea, and will go head to head with Kepa, instead of instantly replacing the 25-year-old.
He helped Rennes qualify for the Champions League for the first time, with the modest French club finishing third in Ligue 1.
Mendy kept 13 clean sheets, and conceded just 31 goals in 33 games last season.
Chelsea’s French head of goalkeeping Christophe Lollichon recommended Normandy-born Mendy to Lampard.
And the Blues are believed to have had an opening bid of £15m turned down by Rennes – with an improved offer due to be returned.
- Chelsea considering swoop for PSG goalkeeper Alphonse Areola to give Thibaut Courtois first-choice competition
- PSG 1 Rennes 0: Long-time Arsenal target Julian Draxler scores second goal in second game for new club
- Rennes 0 Paris Saint-Germain 1: Long-time Arsenal target Julian Draxler scores second goal in second game for new club
- Transfer window 2017: Who will Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City and the rest target when the window re-opens?
- Premier League transfer round-up: Who do Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Spurs and the rest of the sides want?
- Transfer deadline day 2016: Premier League club-by-club guide to what all 20 teams need before the window closes
- Premier League transfers: Club-by-club guide to the transfer deals completed in the Summer 2016 transfer window
- Premier League transfer window: Who do the top seven need to compete for the title?
- Manchester City willing to topple Chelsea and Liverpool with stunning £50m bid for Southampton ace Virgil van Dijk
- Leicester players show they’re up for challenge of Premier League title defence as they kick off pre-season training early
- Chelsea to embark on £95million spending spree this week as they close in on deals for Tiemoue Bakayoko and Alex Sandro
- Chelsea ace Diego Costa may be volatile but we won’t let bust-up derail title challenge, says Blues boss Antonio Conte
- Chelsea bid rejected, Manchester United lose out to PSG and Aston Villa make another signing
- Best young stars: seven hottest names in the transfer market coming to a top club soon
- Chelsea bid to match Arsenal’s record winning streak just had to end at Tottenham, and the locals loved it
- Arsene Wenger FINALLY signs new two-year deal to continue as Arsenal manager on £8m salary with NO break clause
- Romelu Lukaku reveals Manchester United move was sealed by their Europa League triumph
- Ambitious Hamburg get a jump on rivals ahead of the new season
- Arsene Wenger in £40m swoop for Riyad Mahrez after agreeing two-year deal to stay at Arsenal
- Premier League live: West Ham pull one back against Manchester City to make it 2-1 through Antonio header
Chelsea to seal Edouard Mendy transfer to challenge under-fire Kepa as Rennes target Areola as new keeper have 770 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 2, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.