The Hanoitimes – So far, all dead victims in Vietnam are adults with certain underlying medical conditions.
Vietnam reported one more death from Covid-19 on Sunday, lifting the death toll to 24, all with pre-existing medical conditions.
|Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Truong Son reads X-ray film of Covid-19 patients. Photo: Tuan Dung|
The latest victim is an 82-year-old woman from Danang, the epicenter in Vietnam since the return of SARS-CoV-2 late in July.
Pneumonia caused by Covid-19 and septic shock are attributed to the death of the woman that suffered meningitis for years.
The first deaths of Covid-19 in Vietnam was recorded after the resurgence of the virus in the community.
Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Truong Son said among Covid-19 patients with pre-existing diseases, those with acute renal failure and hemodialysis treatment are at high risk of fatality.
So far, 14 out of 24 Covid-19 deaths in Vietnam are patients with kidney failure.
He noted that since the beginning of the pandemic in Vietnam, the health ministry has adjusted medications for Covid-19 patients six times based on scientific knowledge and experiences. Each Covid-19 patient gets treatment that is provided by both on-site resuscitation specialists and the country's leading health professionals through online consultations.
Explaining why Vietnamese doctors could cure Patient No.91, a British pilot who experienced more than three months in critical conditions, Mr. Son said Vietnamese casualties are mostly elder adults with certain underlying medical conditions while the British patient was quite young, aged 43, and had good health.
Echoing Mr. Son, doctor Tran Thanh Linh who directly treated Patient No.91 said the man suffered only repeated sepsis and had good resistance to the disease.
- COVID-19: France death toll above 24,000, number of cases tweaked
- COVID-19: Chile death toll jumps sharply after new cases added
- COVID-19: France death toll close to Spain's, still world's fourth highest
- COVID-19: UK death toll rises by 170, lowest increase since March
- COVID-19: US death toll rises as China cases fall
- Malaysia reports 235 new COVID-19 cases, death toll rises to 23
- UK's COVID-19 official death toll lowered to 41,329 after methodology change
- Brazil now has world's second-worst COVID-19 outbreak, death toll nears 44,000
- COVID-19: Italy death toll rises by 44 to 34,345
- COVID-19: France death toll up again, close to 21,000
- August 13: Vietnam reports 25 new coronavirus cases, tally hits 905
August 16: Vietnam reports one more Covid-19 casualty, death toll hits 24 have 370 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at August 16, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.