Vietnam stand a great chance to advance to the last qualification round for the 2020 Olympics women’s football tournament after the Republic of Korea (RoK) clinched a 7-0 victory over Myanmar on February 3.
Vietnamese players in action during a training session in Jeju, Republic of Korea. (Photo: VFF)
Group A initially comprised DPR Korea, the RoK, Myanmar and Vietnam. However, DPR Korea have pulled out at the last minute, which gives Vietnam certain advantages in competing for a next-round place.
Given the RoK’s win and DPR Korea’s withdrawal, Vietnam will only have to finish off Myanmar in their meeting tomorrow to make it through to the play-off tournament.
In preparation for such an important match, Mai Duc Chung’s side had tactical training sessions shortly after their arrival in Jeju. The break from the scheduled opener against DPR Korea gave Vietnamese players more time to become familiarised with the weather on Jeju Island and have further practice after returning from the Lunar New Year holiday.
Facing Myanmar, who have made much progress over recent times, coach Mai Duc Chung stated that, as usual, Vietnam will play offensively with the strongest determination for a victory.
“If we manage to beat Myanmar, the following clash against the RoK would only be formalistic, as at that time, Vietnam will have already qualified for the next round,” he said.
As scheduled, Vietnam will play Myanmar at 5pm (Vietnamese time) at Jeju World Cup Stadium on February 6, before taking on the RoK at 3pm three days later.
Today (Feb 5), the Vietnamese team will have a training session at the hosting stadium, Jeju World Cup, at 7pm (local time). Nhan Dan
- Vietnam's women advance to 3rd round of 2020 Olympics Qualifiers after three wins
- Russian couple hosts compatriots stranded in Vietnam due to COVID-19
- Digitally-driven travelers lead Vietnam’s travel re-opening
- Bajrang Punia qualifies for Tokyo Olympics but loses semifinal bout in controversial manner
- Digitally-driven travellers lead Vietnam’s travel re-opening
- Digitally-driven travellers lead Viet Nam’s travel re-opening
- Coronavirus sport cancellations: Full postponements list as Euro 2020, Premier League, and Olympics suspended
- Digitally-driven travellers lead Việt Nam’s travel re-opening
- How Vietnam can establish further economic successes
- China is installing surveillance camera outside people's front doors ... and sometimes inside their homes
- EMMANUEL AMUNEKE: Winning ’96 Olympics opened doors for Nigerian players
- Winter Olympics: German ice hockey team pull off 'Wunder von Pyeongchang'
- The Latest: Tokyo Olympics unrealistic without a vaccine?
- Six-Time Olympic Champion in Short Track Speed Skating Viktor Ahn Ends Career in Sports
- Three Orange County Beaches Allowed to Re-Open as State Moves Forward With Recovery Efforts
- Breakingviews - Corona Capital: Pemex, Bond liquidity
- Coronavirus and sports: What happened in March 2020?
- Coronavirus: A list of sports events affected by the Covid-19 pandemic
- Where to go on holiday in 2016
- March 22: VN records largest increase in new coronavirus infections
Olympic qualifiers: Door wide-open for Vietnam to advance further have 458 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at May 2, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.