Division 304, Army Corps No 2 enters the Independence Palace, April 30, 1975.— VNA/VNS Photo Quang Thành HÀ NỘI – To mark the 45th anniversary of Việt Nam’s 1975 Great Spring Victory (April 30, 1975) and the fall of the America-backed Sài Gòn administration, ending the American War and leading to the liberation of southern Việt Nam, the Vietnam News Agency presents an article by Nguyễn Đinh Lê, PhD, a lecturer from the History Faculty of the University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vietnam National University, Hà Nội. In 1954, the French colonialists were defeated in the battle of the Điện Biên Phủ and were forced to sign the Geneva Agreement (July 1954) to withdraw from Indochina. However, shortly after, the United States stepped up to fill the vacuum, increasing military aid to South Việt Nam and sending the first US military advisers to the country in 1959 to implement its global anti-revolution policy. They did everything to suppress the South’s revolution. From 1954 to 1958, South Việt Nam lost a huge number of officials and Party members. Nearly 90,000 patriots were arrested and imprisoned and nearly 20,000 were tortured and killed. The country was divided into two regions with two opposing regimes: the North, which was completely liberated,… Read full this story
- Viet Nam’s digital economy forecasted to reach US$43 billion by 2025
- Staten Island veteran gets Purple Heart for injury received in Viet Nam: 'It's like a closure'
- Merkel warns against racism on anniversary of German reunification
- German Unity Day: What happened in Germany on October 3, 1990?
- Greta Thunberg favourite to WIN Novel Peace Prize after angry ‘how dare you’ UN speech
- Dan Kinsella: A peaceful end to a Halifax standoff shows how police and community can work together
- How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days set the stage for the rom-com’s downfall
- Taliban delegation meets Pak foreign minister to push for revival of Afghan peace process
- From Hitler to Michael Jackson, unlikely names for Nobel Peace Prize
- Kevin Durant, alleged NBA villain, ignoring the noise: 'I'm at peace'
Reunification Day: Viet Nam's strong aspiration for peace have 346 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at April 30, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.