Asia News Malaysia’s Mahathir out as former interior minister is named PM The Saigon Times Daily Saturday, Feb 29, 2020,17:48 (GMT+7) Malaysia’s Mahathir out as former interior minister is named PMThe Saigon Times Daily Malaysia’s Prime Minister Designate and former interior minister Muhyiddin Yassin waves to reporters outside his residence in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, February 29, 2020 – PHOTO: REUTERS KUALA LUMPUR (REUTERS) – Malaysia’s 94-year-old Mahathir Mohamad lost out in the battle to become prime minister on Saturday as the king named former interior minister Muhyiddin Yassin after a week of political turmoil sparked by Mahathir’s resignation. The decision could again reshape politics in the Southeast Asian country less than two years after an alliance of Mahathir, and old rival Anwar Ibrahim, 72, swept out the former ruling party that had been tarnished by corruption scandals. That former ruling party of six decades, the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), was among those that had rallied in support of Muhyiddin, along with the Islamist party PAS. Although Mahathir and Anwar announced on Saturday that they had joined hands again, the palace said in a statement the king made his decision on the basis that Muhyiddin possibly had the support of a majority in parliament…. Read full this story
- Libya's GNA focused on Tripoli battle, interior minister says
- Tough action against hoarding, profiteering inevitable, warns PM
- India agrees to sell HCQ tablets to Malaysia to help fight Covid-19
- British PM Boris Johnson will be back at work on Monday, office says
- COVID-19: PM Narendra Modi Lauds Divyanka Tripathi, Rashami Desai & Others For Fan Ka Fan Initiative
- China Steps up Patrols in Disputed Sea; Here’s What Malaysia and Vietnam Will do
- Flight MH370 – what happened, when did the Malaysia Airlines plane disappear and has the engine been found?
- Merger of Malaysia Airlines, AirAsia discussed
- Bangladesh to turn back new Rohingya refugee boats: minister
- Malaysia calls for peaceful end to months-long South China Sea standoff
Malaysia's Mahathir out as former interior minister is named PM have 326 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at February 29, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.