A sluice in a coastal commune in the Mekong Delta province of Kien Giang prevents saltwater intrusion. (Photo: VNA) HCM City (VNS/VNA) – Authorities in provinces in the Mekong Delta and Can Tho city are dredging irrigation works and storing fresh water to cope with saltwater intrusion during the dry season. Saltwater intrusion is expected to be more severe this year because of low flooding levels and lower than usual rainfall during the rainy season, according to local authorities. During the dry season, saline intrusion will occur earlier than usual, causing a shortage of fresh water for agricultural production, according to the Southern Institute of Water Resources Research. Kien Giang province’s People’s Committee has told agencies to dredge irrigation canals to improve water storage and to build temporary dams to prevent saline intrusion. The province plans to complete construction of 173 temporary dams by mid-month. The affected coastal areas are located from Rach Gia city to Ha Tien city, along the Cai Lon – Cai Be rivers, and in the U Minh Thuong area. Water with a salinity of 0.4 percent is expected to enter 40km deep into the Cai Lon River in January, according to the Kien Giang Centre for Hydro-Meteorology Forecasting. The highest salinity rate is expected by the end of April and early May. In Tra Vinh province, sluice gates are being closed when the salinity… Read full this story
- American Airlines, Delta and United forced to cover cameras on seat back screens after denying it’s used for spying
- FAI face fine over protest as provinces back Delaney
- FAI face fine over tennis ball protest as provinces back John Delaney
- Canadian province to presume consent for organ donations
- Cian Tracey: 'Munster must prove that lessons have been learned if they are to make final step'
- Brexit has taken a notable step backwards
- 'At least it's a step forward'
- Council monitoring steps being taken on Belfast flats problem
- Entire Football Association Ireland board to step down
- Bernard Jackman: 'Ireland need to step up their performance to win this one'
Mekong Delta provinces take steps to control saltwater intrusion have 344 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at December 8, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.