After considering several solutions to expand its headquarters, the Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee has decided to take up a proposal by U.S. architecture firm Gensler, which will not demolish a 130-year-building in downtown Saigon, but build on it. The city’s Department of Planning and Architecture will work with the American firm to come up with the most feasible plan, the administration recently announced. This 130-year-old French colonial structure adjacent to the iconic Ben Thanh Market is the second oldest building in Saigon. Photo by VnExpress/Quynh Tran. The department had proposed earlier that the city’s People’s Committee invites international experts to make detailed plans on preserving the old building, which faced the threat of demolition as part of a proposed expansion plan for the city’s People’s Committee headquarters. In their petition, experts and other signatories had dismissed the argument that the building not being part of an official list of heritage sites was a valid reason for demolishing it. The building in question was built by the French in the 1860s, upgraded in 1890, and used for the management and operations of all civil and judicial activities during colonial times. It is the second oldest building in Saigon, after a… Read full this story
- See Inside RHONY star Dorinda Medley's 100-Year-Old Berkshires Estate: 'This House Is Alive'
- REVEALED: America's first COVID-19 death was a healthy 57-year-old California woman who died suddenly at home after complaining of flu symptoms in February - THREE WEEKS before first official fatality
- A 100-year-old WWII veteran died of Covid-19. His twin brother died 100 years earlier in the flu pandemic
- Vandals etch graffiti into 4,000-year-old monument at world-famous Ring of Brodgar stone circle in Orkney
- Hoda Kotb shares adorable video of three-year-old daughter Haley Joy singing Happy Birthday to her grandmother as they mark the day from a distance while in quarantine
- Vicky Kaushal's Mumbai Residence Complex Sealed After 11-Year-Old Tests Positive For COVID-19
- 5-year-old daughter of Detroit first responders dies after being diagnosed with coronavirus
- Talented DIY mum creates an amazing 'jungle room' for her four-year-old son on a budget - complete with rustic decor, $30 stickers and IKEA drawers
- Gregg Wallace, 55, admits he'd tell his 15-year-old self not to marry his three past wives and to wait until he met current love Anna, 33, because 'the others weren't right'
- This 16-year-old student pilot is flying medical supplies to rural hospitals during the pandemic
130-year-old building to serve as ‘tradition house’ for HCMC administration have 409 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at December 13, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.