Rescuers worked by hand to clear debris from a landslide triggered by heavy rains in central Japan on Saturday, as the toll from the storms rose to 10 dead with a further three people reportedly missing.
Aerial footage showed emergency workers removing wreckage from two houses that were swept away in Chiba, southeast of Tokyo, just two weeks after a deadly typhoon barrelled through the area.
Nine people were killed by landslides and floods in the region, including two elderly men found dead in submerged cars, officials and news reports said.
A woman in her 40s was found dead near the coast in eastern Fukushima, according to a fire department official.
Police divers were deployed to search for those unaccounted for, with public broadcaster NHK putting the number of missing at three.
Thousands of people were forced to spend the night in Narita airport after train services were suspended, it added.
“Water was flowing in my garden like a river,” a 75-year-old man told NHK. “Rain was heavier than during the typhoon.”
Two weeks ago, Typhoon Hagibis slammed into the east coast of Japan, killing more than 80 people. Many river banks and levees that were breached during Hagibis have yet to be repaired.
The rescue effort received some relief when the Japan Meteorological Agency downgraded warnings of landslides and floods as rains eased on Saturday morning in many regions.
Non-mandatory evacuation orders were also lifted in many areas, although 1,800 people were still in shelters, NHK reported.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24×7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.
- Woolworths supermarket roof collapses and trees are 'shredded' as huge golf ball-sized hail and torrential rain smash Melbourne - before thousands are told to take shelter
- Indonesia tsunami: torrential rain hampers rescue efforts as death toll rises to 429
- Japan reports case of mystery virus
- At least 57 killed by avalanches in Pakistan, India: Government officials
- The 'once every 100 years' storm: East coast rain bomb is set to blow with severe flood warnings issued and 'a SHARK seen swimming next to suburban homes' - and it's set to get WORSE
- Six killed in Brazil flooding and landslides
- Over 75 people killed as severe cold wave grips country
- Dozens killed by avalanches in Pakistani and Indian Kashmir
- Bihar On 'Red Alert'! Incessant Rain Kills 17, CM Nitish Kumar Says Such Situation Is Not In Anyone's Control
- Severe thunderstorms bound for Sydney, NSW and parts of Victoria after hail rains down in Canberra
- Rain offers hope in month-long Australian bushfire battle
- Tribute for 'hero' dog that stayed with Matilda, the girl who went missing on flooded WA station
- Troubled past of physical therapist who killed his wife, three kids and family dog in Disney town: His father hired hitman to shoot his mother who ended up with bullet lodged in her skull for 40 years
- Estranged husband, his ex-girlfriend and his lawyer accused in missing Connecticut mom's death
- 62 killed, 53 injured as avalanches hit Pakistan-controlled Kashmir
- Heavy rains to soak over half of China
- 9 killed as snowfall, rain trigger avalanches in Kashmir
- Heavy snowfall, rain claim nearly 84 lives in Pakistan
- Australia bushfires: Heavy rains, floods provide some relief
- 'Life-threatening' super cell storm dumps 300mm of rain on Queensland - flooding Gold Coast theme parks and cutting off major highways - but the downpour puts out 49 active fires
Torrential Rains, Landslides Kill 10 In Japan, 3 Reported Missing have 603 words, post on www.ndtv.com at October 26, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.