The Indian Navy on Saturday rescued 17 fishermen from a boat – caught in rough sea conditions due to Cyclone Kyarr – off the west coast of Mumbai, officials said. The fishermen were stranded as the boat began flooding and developed an engine failure.
Indian Navy’s INS Teg, a frigate of the Western Fleet, was returning from its deployment in the Arabian sea when it immediately diverted to the area to rescue the fishermen.
“INS Teg rescued 17 fishermen from a sinking fishing boat called Vaishno Devi Mata off Mumbai High in very severe cyclonic weather and trying conditions in the nick of time,” the Navy tweeted.
#INSTeg Rescues 17 fishermen from a sinking fishing boat Vaishno Devi Mata off Mumbai High in very #severecyclonic weather & trying conditions in the nick of time. Boat sinks moments after all fishermen rescued by #IndianNavy ship. #MaritimeRescue#RescueatSea#RescueOperationspic.twitter.com/fp0ijthJlM
– SpokespersonNavy (@indiannavy) October 26, 2019
The Navy’s ship made multiple approaches to the fishing boat and was able to rescue all 17 fishermen Minutes after they were all rescued, the fishing boat sank.
Officials said that the rescued fishermen have not suffered any injuries and are in good health.
Cyclone Kyarr might to turn into an “extremely severe” cyclonic storm today and is likely to move west-northwestwards towards the Oman coast at a speed of 14 kilometres per hour, the weather office had said on Saturday.
Rescuers were on standby in Goa and heavy rain was forecast for Karnataka, Maharashtra and some parts of Gujarat.
On Saturday, the Indian Coast Guard had stepped up search and rescue efforts. The Coast Guard has deployed 10 ships, four Dornier aircraft and two helicopters to search, locate and rescue the stranded fishing boats at sea, officials said.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24×7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.
- Fort Myers Beach Coast Guard crew rescues four in disabled, sinking boat near Sanibel
- U.S. Navy rescues Iranians in distress at sea ... again
- Fishing expedition leaves South Carolina teen dead after heavy storm sinks boat
- Eight rescued from sinking boat off Fire Island: authorities
- Sick Baby's Parents Defend Round-the-World Sailing Trip After Navy Rescue
- Fishing crew rescued from sinking boat off NJ coast
- Irish fishermen rescued from sinking boat off coast of Scotland
- Louisiana’s ‘Cajun Navy’ sets sail in fishing boats to rescue flood victims
- 13 rescued, 2 missing after boat sinks off coast of Indonesia
- Coast Guard rescues 22 from sinking bachelor party booze cruise