Rice fields in Thang Quan commune of Yen Son district, the northern province of Tuyen Quang, are flooded as a result of heavy rains in early September (Photo: VNA) Hanoi (VNS/VNA) – As a country highly exposed to droughts, floods and landslides, Vietnam needs more active prevention instead of just a passive response. That was the message from a workshop held in Hanoi on September 10 Entitled “Natural Disaster Management for Sustainable Development”. Its aim is to share knowledge and expertise with policy makers, universities, research institutions and international development partners, industry and private partners on issues relating to natural disasters. Nguyen Quoc Phi, from the Hanoi University of Mining and Geology, said the study conducted by him and his students showed landslides are frequent in north and north central provinces. From 2010 to 2016, at least 577 lives were lost due to landslides. As well as loss of lives and structural damage, landslides damaged agricultural land and roads, causing economic disruption. Phi said the community had most to gain if they can reduce the impact of disasters by effectively using their capacities. Matthieu Kervyn, from the Free University of Brussels in Belgium, agreed, saying a scarcity of reliable data… Read full this story
- How you can help when natural disasters strike
- Bill Maher Blasts GOP On Handling Natural Disasters, Says Dems Have Been Better
- PATA launches relief fund for victims of natural disasters
- NPR Reporter Probes Jay Carney: Will WH Provide Obamacare Updates Like They Would Natural Disasters?
- Michele Bachmann: God Is Trying To Get Politicians’ Attention Via Natural Disasters
- Trailer For THE QUAKE, Which Actually Looks Like a Great Natural Disaster Movie
- Vietnam proactive in multilateral mechanisms
- Cambodian PM sends sympathies over natural disaster in northern Vietnam
- Nepal's airports prepare for future natural disasters
- O’Reilly To Guest: As A Conservative, Are You “OK With People Dying” In Natural Disasters?
Vietnam should be proactive in coping with natural disasters have 312 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 11, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.