Vientiane (VNA) – Vietnam and Laos agreed to enhance cooperation in maintaining border security during talks between their border guard officials in Vientiane on September 12.
The Vietnamese delegation was led by Commander of the Border Guard High Command Lt. Gen. Hoang Xuan Chien. Meanwhile, the Lao side was led by Maj. Gen. Siphan Phutthavong, head of the border guard department of the General Staff of the Lao People’s Army.
At the talks, the two sides reviewed cooperation outcomes in the recent past and discussed the coordination in border management in the time ahead.
They agreed to continue directing their agencies and units to seriously and effectively realise cooperation agreements on border defence. They will step up communications to raise border residents’ awareness of the Vietnam-Laos protocol on borderline and border markers, the bilateral agreement on border and border gates management regulations, along with the special relationship between the two countries so that locals are better aware of hostile forces’ sabotage ruses and plots as well as cross-border crime, and actively take part in the fight against crime.
Additionally, border guard forces of Vietnam and Laos will frequently conduct joint patrols to manage and protect the borderline and border markers, discover and deal with incidents happening along the borderline in a timely manner. They will also work together to prevent and combat illegal cross-border migration and other criminal activities.
Both sides agreed to continue coordinating closely to organise border friendship exchanges at all levels, increase the sharing of experience in managing and safeguarding the border and fighting crime, especially drug crime.
They will also further support each other in training and improving the law enforcement capacity of the border guard forces.
During their working visit to Laos from September 11-13, the Vietnamese delegation presented 90 million Kip (about 10,000 USD) as relief aid to the Lao Ministry of National Defence to help people in the country’s central and southern regions address flood consequences.
Vietnam and Laos share a border of around 2,337 km that runs across 10 Vietnamese provinces and 10 Lao provinces./.
- Vietnam, Laos talk ways to enhance cooperation in energy, mining
- Vietnam takes steps to avoid trade war crossfire
- Vietnam, Singapore step up cooperation in crime prevention
- Vietnam tightens security at border station ahead of Kim Jong Un visit
- Vietnam, Switzerland step up legislative cooperation
- Vietnam-Russia economic cooperation prospects under spotlight
- Vietnam, US boost cooperation in infection, drug resistance prevention
- Friendship associations of Vietnam, Philippines bolster cooperation
- Diplomat highlights potential for Vietnam-Argentina economic cooperation
- Vietnam, India boost cooperation in energy security