The US PGA Tour on Tuesday cancelled next month’s season-ending event on its Chinese feeder golf circuit in Hong Kong citing “continued demonstrations, civil unrest and safety concerns”. The Clearwater Bay Open, from October 17-20, would have been the climax of the third-tier, 14-event, PGA Tour Series-China. Instead it became the latest sporting casualty of sometimes violent mass anti-government protests. Next month’s WTA Hong Kong Open featuring many of the world’s top women tennis players has already been postponed and last week a horse racing meeting at the city’s famous Happy Valley track was cancelled for the first time. “Due to continued demonstrations, civil unrest and safety concerns in Hong Kong, PGA Tour Series-China is cancelling the 2019 Clearwater Bay Open,” said a tour statement Tuesday. The PGA Tour Series-China has around 50 Chinese players in its 100-plus membership and works closely with the Beijing-backed China Golf Association to stage events, with only two tournaments — in Macau and Hong Kong — being hosted outside the mainland. With a large mainland entry at Clearwater Bay, which lies to the east of Hong Kong Island, there were fears that the event could be targeted by anti-Beijing protesters. “The safety of our… Read full this story
- 'They don't understand Hong Kong': clash of ideologies looms on China's 70th anniversary
- In Hong Kong, Unity Between Peaceful and Radical Protesters. For Now.
- Carrie Lam Comes Face to Face With Angry Hong Kong Residents at Town Hall
- Hong Kong’s Status as Neutral Ground at Risk as China Asserts Power
- Hong Kong’s fight for freedom | Letters
- Tens of Thousands Rally in Hong Kong Before China’s National Holiday
- Violent clashes between Hong Kong protesters and police as China marks National Day – video
- Protests Erupt Across Hong Kong, Overshadowing Xi’s Big Parade
- Xiaomi's weak IPO debut may spell trouble for upcoming Hong Kong tech listings- Technology News, Firstpost
- Is defeat inevitable for Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement? | Simon Tisdall
US PGA Tour cancels Hong Kong event over player safety have 329 words, post on en.rfi.fr at September 23, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.