Issued on: 11/09/2019 – 19:23
Rory McIlroy was named the PGA Tour’s Player of the Year on Wednesday, winning the prestigious Jack Nicklaus Award for the third time.
Northern Ireland star McIlroy, who was also handed the accolade in 2012 and 2014, came out on top after a vote by fellow tour professionals.
The 30-year-old beat out competition from Brooks Koepka, Matt Kuchar and Xander Schauffele for the award, which comes just weeks after his victory in the season-ending PGA Tour Championship.
“Rory’s season was a model of consistency punctuated by milestone victories and ultimately the FedExCup in Atlanta,” PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said in a statement.
“While there are a number of honors one can receive in this game, PGA TOUR Player of the Year has to be among the most satisfying as it comes directly from his peers.”
McIlroy is only the second player after Tiger Woods to win the season-long FedEx Cup race multiple times.
As well as the Tour Championship/FedEx Cup crown, his 2019 season also included victories at The Players Championship and the RBC Canadian Open.
McIlroy also won the Byron Nelson Award for adjusted scoring average (69.057) for the third time in his career and topped the PGA Tour in top-10 finishes (14).
Im Sung-Jae of South Korea was named the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year, lifting the renamed Arnold Palmer Award.
© 2019 AFP
- LPGA Tour’s Lincicome shoots 78 in PGA Tour debut
- Tiger Woods' first win in 5 years brings him one step closer to one of the PGA Tour's most hallowed records
- Discovery is making a Netflix-style streaming service for sports, and it's paying $2 billion for streaming rights to the PGA Tour
- Tiger Woods Wins First PGA Tour Victory Since 2013
- PGA Tour tries different strokes for TV gains
- Detroit Golf Club tells members it won't lose money on PGA Tour tournament
- Why This Week’s PGA Tour Event Should Have Exposed Trump as a Conman Forever
- Timberlake to host PGA Tour event
- Brian Johnson says it’s likely AC/DC will tour this year
- Coldplay named songwriters of the year at ASCAP awards