Malaysia may have to pass a law forcing its companies to tackle fires on land they control abroad, Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said on September 18 as forest fires in Indonesia spread haze across the region. Smoke from a forest fire in Riau, Indonesia The smoke from forest fires in Indonesiahas been particularly bad over recent weeks leading to accusations and angryresponses among the neighbours. Previously, two of the Malaysian companiesidentified by the Indonesian minister said they had small fires on their landbut they had been extinguished. The Malaysia PM said his government wouldcall on the Malaysian companies to put out the fires. If they are unwilling to take action, theMalaysian government may have to pass a law which will make them responsiblefor fires in their property, even if outside of Malaysia, Mahathir added. Forest fires often occur in Indonesia asgrowers use fire to clear land for palm oil, paper plantations and other crops.But the fires often rage out of control especially during the dry season. The Air Pollution Index (API) in MalayPeninsula, east of Indonesia’s Sumatra island, has reached unhealthy level.Thousands of schools in Malaysia has been forced to close due to poor airquality, mainly in Selangor and Sarawak states,… Read full this story
- Tamil Nadu government asks IT firms to continue work from home till May 3
- Florida Government Asked to Shut Down WWE Television Tapings
- Net profits at China's central government-owned firms fall 58.8% year-on-year in first quarter
- Thai government asks public to continue work from home
- Quarantine period of Wadhawan family ends on April 22, Maharashtra government asks ED, CBI to take their custody
- 4-Alarm Fire In Strip District Destroys Building That Houses Yinzers In The Burgh
- One Person Injured In Early Sunday Morning San Jose House Fire
- Apartment Fire Near Oakland’s Lake Merritt Displaces 8
- ‘They Protected Us’: Lawrenceville Neighbors Credit Firefighters With Keeping People Safe During Massive Fire
- What are the superstar firms adding to the American economy?
Malaysian government asks firms to control fires abroad have 329 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.