Beijing’s massive new Daxing International Airport is officially open for business – just in time for celebrations marking the 70th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China on October 1.
|Beijing Daxing International Airport: An aerial view of the striking new Beijing Daxing International Airport, dubbed “starfish” by Chinese media.|
On Wednesday morning, press, dignitaries and airline representatives waited in place for more than four hours for the arrival of President Xi Jinping, who entered the main concourse of the glistening gold and glass mega terminal just before noon, where he was greeted by airport officials.
Xi sat through a brief highlight reel of the airport’s design and construction followed by speeches filled with praise for the president. The Chinese leader was the last to speak, offering a brief, formal baptism.
“I declare Beijing Daxing International Airport open,” he said.
Later that day, the crowd watched as the airport’s maiden flight took off from one of the airport’s four runways — an honor that fell to Daxing’s main tenant, China Southern, which deployed an Airbus A380, the world’s biggest airliner.
Flights from other airlines due to move to the airport, with a three-letter code PKX, were also scheduled for later in the day. Initially, the only flights making use of the airport are domestic. Customs and immigration are not yet operational, their booths currently empty and free of computer screens.
Flights from Daxing will cover 112 destinations around the globe by next spring.
An airport built for the future
Designed by the late architect Zaha Hadid and her Chinese partners, the airport is built for the future, boasting a terminal the size of 97 soccer pitches — as well as customer-service robots that provide travelers with flight updates and airport information.
Nicknamed “starfish” by Chinese media for its shape of five concourses connected to a main hall, Daxing aims to reduce walking for passengers, long a complaint about many new mega-hubs. CNN
- The only hotel at Teesside International Airport is up for sale
- Restaurant review: Sip & Stone at Belfast International Airport
- First Minister officially opens new Edinburgh Airport terminal
- Lebanon capital’s renovated airport to open in August
- Railway line to be laid to Heydar Aliyev International Airport
- China is now officially open for foreign oil, gas exploration
- PM Salwai Officially Opens 2019 Pacific ICT Days
- Official opening of £1m extension of Banbridge’s Donard School
- 11th International Music Festival officially opens in Gabala
- Internal Revenue Commission opens office in Arawa
- Gibraltar Island Games officially open
- China builds world’s largest airport in Beijing (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
- New mega-Istanbul airport hosts 5.2 million passengers in May
- Budapest Airport hosts workshops in China
- Hong Kong set for airport protests after overnight unrest
- Florida airports close as hurricane nears
- Malaga airport is celebrating 100 years with its best year ever
- Turkey’s airports serve over 74 million passengers
- Hong Kong Court Extends Ban on Protests in City's Airport
- Beware: The common airport scams to look out for this summer
Beijing's Daxing International Airport now officially open have 477 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.