The nine are crewmembers of TG 90983TS board owned by Ngo Van Theng in My Xuan hamlet, Tan Trung commune, Go Cong town.
On the night of June 10, while operating in the Vietnamese waters, the Vietnamese fishermen spotted two Philippine sailors in a small boat asking for help. After taking the two sailors on board, Captain of the Vietnamese fishing vessel Nguyen Thanh Tam navigated to the location of the distressed ship and saved the rest 20 fishermen.
The Vietnamese vessel then broadcast a message to other Philippine fishing boats in the area to take over their fellowmen and bring them home.
After handing over the Philippine sailors to a Philippine vessel operating nearby, ship TS 90983TS continued fishing and returned to shore on August 18.
Addressing the award ceremony, Captain Nguyen Thanh Tan said: “I believe any Vietnamese person would act the same in such a situation. All of us are happy as we did a good deed, having been able to save the lives of the Filipino fishermen.” – VNA
- Benjamin, Haeger win US Sailing's yachting awards
- UN teams up with top sailors to research oceans
- Philippines bid could pack a punch for 2019 worlds
- Pacquiao joins bid to help Philippines land FIBA World Cup
- China beats Philippines 78-67 to win FIBA Asia title
- Watch Vietnamese goalkeeper go from hero to zero
- Route du Rhum sailor Florence Arthaud dies in crash at 57
- Report: America’s Cup sailor Dirk de Ridder suspended five years
- Cardinals’ Wainwright is nominated for Roberto Clemente Award
- Indians launch campaign to award Feller Presidential Medal of Freedom