The ship, numbered QB 92838 TS and captained by Pham Xuan Tung from Quang Binh province, suffered a breakdown at 1am on August 11 while fishing in the waters of the Hoang Sa archipelago, with water quickly flooding the cabin. In addition to the captain, five other fishermen were aboard the vessel.
In tackling the incident, crewmembers worked through the night before Captain Tung sent an emergency message to the Vietnam Maritime Search and Rescue Centre requesting emergency assistance at 8am.
The centre immediately informed ships in the area to provide swift support to the distressed vessel. The search team from the Vietnam Maritime Search and Rescue Centre co-ordinated efforts with recuse ship KN366 until 14:25 to save the lives of all those onboard.
Now safely ashore, the fishermen are all in a stable condition.
- Sheltering fishermen an int'l obligation, says navy commander
- Vietnam calls in Chinese diplomatic representative over fishermen attacks
- Too many taxis cruise Hanoi
- Social News Headlines 27/5
- Chinese ships attack Vietnamese fishing boats 6 times over 19 days
- Vietnam denounces China's escalation of tension in East Vietnam Sea
- Social News Headlines 28/6
- Nock-Ten flood threat fails to recede