This result confirms the quality and prestige of training and research in Vietnam’s two national universities and makes them more widely-known by scientists and recruiters worldwide.
Two Vietnamese universities remain among the world’s top 1,000. Photo: Cao Ky
This year, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Harvard University and the United Kingdom’s University of Oxford maintained their top positions in the rankings. They are followed by the California Institute of Technology.
The five remaining universities in the top ten belong to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology – ETH Zurich, Cambridge University, University College London (UCL), Imperial College London of England and Chicago University of America.
In Asia alone, Singapore’s two universities, including Nanyang Technological University and Singapore National University, ranked 11th in the world. China’s Tsinghua University ranked 16th.
To work out this year’s university classification, the QS World University Rankings analyzed more than 93 million citations from 13 million articles on the Scopus system, received feedback from 1.5 million scholars and 240,000 surveys with employers worldwide.
The QS World University Rankings, an annual publication of university rankings by London-based Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), was established in 2004.
The QS World University Rankings lists universities according to six criteria that include academic reputation (accounting for 40% of the total score), reputation for employers (10%), lecturer/student ratio (20%), rate of quoted articles/lecturers (20%), rate of international lecturers (5%) and international students (5%).
Being the only international ranking approved by International Ranking Expert Group (IREG), the QS ranking is viewed as one of the three most prestigious university rankings in the world, along with the Academic Ranking of World Universities and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- Vietnam remains world’s second largest shoe exporter
- Application of technology in Vietnamese university
- Vietnam National University, Hanoi leaps up 216 steps in world rankings
- Startup founder shares experiences with Vietnamese Talent Awards
- Vietnamese herbalist awarded honorary doctorate by University of Florida
- Vietnamese female scientist co-authored new Nature study
- Vietnamese physics professor wins 2018 Dirac Medal
- Two Vietnamese on board sunk cargo ship in Tokyo Bay
- Vietnamese researcher makes biological gel to heal wounds without sutures
- First Vietnamese artist to join top floral designer competition