The police arrested two offenders named Dang Cong Bao and Nguyen The Manh, both aged 23 and from Bac Ninh province, along with hundreds of hidden camera equipment and ultra-small headsets that can be used to aid exam fraud.
Nguyen The Manh (in red shirt) and Dang Cong Bao at the police office. Photo: Chinhphu.vn
According to Lieutenant Colonel Dang Manh Cuong, captain of the Criminal Division of the Public Security Department of Nam Tu Liem district, the two offenders offered equipment aiding exam fraud via social networks.
Bao and Manh admitted that from October 2018, they started finding online sources for equipment aiding exam fraud. Bao traded with a woman named Tran Thi Quynh in Lang Son province, who bought these products from China.
Each set of devices was imported with the cost of VND400,000 -1.6 million (US$17.2 – 68.8), and sold at about VND2-3 million (US$86-129).
These devices are sophisticated, difficult to be detected. Exam contestants only need to plug the sim into it and put the microphones into their ears, then can get supported from people outside.
Besides, Hanoi police also seized many camera buttons, ballpoint pens, vibrating devices that can be used during exams.
In addition to the above-mentioned sophisticated equipment, many types of secret devices for positioning were detected. All of these products are made in China and illegally traded in Vietnam.
Currently, the case is under investigation.
To prepare for the Hanoi national high school exam in 2019, the city’s police aim to ensure absolute safety for the exam, from printing of exam papers, traffic safety and order with special focus on combating exam fraud.
- Police issue impersonation fraud warning
- CCTV image of man released by Essex Police after bank fraud
- Vietnam arrests another police official over online gambling ring
- Police burst down door of popular DJ who lay dead in flat for up to two weeks
- Carer, 30, jailed for stealing rings from elderly woman
- Damning indictment of welfare’s attitudes to trafficking victims by senior police officer
- ‘Where can I report a fraud or scam?’
- Bermondsey family left traumatised after masked men burst into their home and threatened to shoot them
- Live updates as police raid north Hull homes
- Police investigating death of man who swallowed ‘batch of drugs’ after arrest