‘Landmark developments herald the end of two decades of stagnation in the army’s modernisation plans,’ notes Brigadier Gurmeet Kanwal (retd). IMAGE: K-9 Vajra, a self-propelled artillery gun, displayed at the formal induction of the major artillery gun systems during a ceremony at the Deolali artillery centre, in Maharashtra’s Nashik district. Photograph: PTI Photo On April 8, 2019, the Ordnance Factories Board handed over the first four indigenously manufactured Dhanush 155mm/45 calibre guns to the army. Earlier, at a function held at the field firing ranges of the School of Artillery, Deolali, on November 9, 2018 and presided over by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, two new weapons systems and a gun towing vehicle were formally inducted into operational service in the Regiment of Artillery. The weapons systems included the 155 mm/39 calibreM777 A2 Ultra-Light Howitzer of US origin and the K-9 Vajra self-propelled 155 mm/52 calibregun from South Korea. Since the purchase of 400 pieces of the Bofors 155 mm/39 calibre FH77B in the mid-1980s from Sweden, these two guns were the first modern weapons systems to be inducted into the Indian artillery. These landmark developments herald the end of two decades of stagnation in the army’s modernisation plans. Though India… Read full this story
- HIGHLIGHTS: Wisconsin Gets Huge 71-69 Win Over Minnesota, Improve To 19-10
- Blood Donation Drive After US Church Massacre Gets Huge Public Response
- Britain’s most endangered dog breed gets huge boost thanks to litter of ten adorable puppies
- Call Of Duty: Mobile Gets Huge Update With New Battle Pass, Map, Character, And More
- Call Of Duty: Mobile Gets Huge Update With Battle Pass, Map, Character, And More
- Jamal Khashoggi's children get huge "blood money" payouts from Saudi Arabia, Washington Post reports
- Call Of Duty Mobile Gets Huge Update: Battle Pass, Map, Characters, And More
- Premier League winners, losers: Liverpool's undefeated run is no more; West Ham gets huge win
- Brazilian Army Moving up on the Strongest Armies List, but Is It Fast Enough?
- Escalatory game does not always lead to war, says Army Chief Naravane
Wah! Army gets huge firepower! have 341 words, post on www.rediff.com at May 8, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.